Chapter 27

Authors note: just so you know, I skipped forward a bit, so Katniss is now 4 and a half months pregnant, okay?

"Peeta! Peeta wake up" Katniss insisted
"What's wrong?" I asked suddenly alert
"Today's ultrasound day" she squealed. "We get confirmation today on how wrong you are"
"Hey, come on! I think we're having a boy" I said tiredly
"Well I know we're having a girl!" Katniss snapped
"Calm down Katniss" I whispered placing my hand on her shoulder
"Sorry, I'm just so excited" she says, bouncing up and down a little. "We should do a bet"
"What sort of a bet?" I asked
"If I'm right, and our baby is a girl, then you have to uh, you have to. Dammit Peeta, maybe if you didn't treat me so nicely all the time I could think of something. Fine, you have to take me to dinner"
"Deal" I agreed "and if I win, you have to... Give me a moment. You have to bake a cake. From scratch"
"Dammit, you're evil" Katniss muttered. "Wait can I change mine?" She asked
"Well that's against the rules, but since I love you" I mumbled into her hair
"Okay, if I win, you have to let me teach you how to hunt. If you win, I have to bake a cake, deal?"

I thought about it, I'd be terrible at hunting, but I still think I'm going to win, so I reluctantly agreed.

We got ready slowly, munching breakfast and sipping on our orange juice.

"Come on, Peeta! Hurry up! I wanna find out now"
"Okay, okay. I'm coming" I said, grabbing her hand and pulling her along towards the car.

"So, Katniss. On a scale from 1-10 how terrible do you think your cake is going to turn out?"
"I'll have you know, I'm going to win this bet, because I know we're having a girl"
"How do you know?" I asked
"I just do"

We drove the rest of the way in a comfortable silence.

We arrived at the hospital, with a little too much time to spare.
"I'm so excited Peeta" Katniss told me
"Me too"
"We're going to find out if we're having a boy or a girl! This is amazing"

"Katniss and Peeta Mellark" the announcer called.
Katniss and I practically jumped of her seats
"Let's go find out!" I whispered

I sat down and Katniss lay on this make shift bed type thing, I tightly gripped her hand as the doctor smeared some sort of gel over Katniss' stomach.
"Ohh, that's cold" Katniss said
Suddenly an image appeared on the screen.
"There's your baby" the doctor told us.
I stared at the picture in awe, I felt Katniss squeeze my hand.
Our baby was on the screen right now, our baby. Suddenly everything seemed so real.
In another four and a half months we'd have our baby. Our own kid.

"I suppose you'll want to know the sex of the baby?" The doctor says, breaking me away from my thoughts.
"Yes, of course" Katniss says squeezing my hand.
"Okay, if you look here and he- oh, it looks like you're going to be having a little baby girl"
"I told you so" Katniss said rather smugly.
"I'll just print off a few pictures and you can be on your way then" the doctor said printing them off and handing them to us
"Thank you" I said.

We were in the car on the way home, and I thought Katniss had forgotten about the hunting thing.

"I can't wait till we get home" Katniss said "you're going to suck at hunting"

Katniss had set up a makeshift target for me to practice with.
She stood behind me, guiding my arms and telling me how to aim. I let go off the string, missing the target completely.
"Dammit" I muttered.
"Come on Peeta, you can do better than that, if you can hit the target I'll be happy. It's a big target"
I tried again, and failed.
"Stay calm Peeta, come on, you can do it" Katniss encouraged.
I tried again, but yet again failed.
"I can't do this" I complained.
"Don't give up, there's a bird, I'll help you, come on. If you hit it, I'll bake the cake thing"

She stood behind me, interlocking her fingers with mine, and guiding my hands, aiming carefully.
"You should be able to hit it" she says, helping to hold the bow steady, as I slowly pull the string back, releasing the arrow, and watching it travel through the air, before hitting the bird.

"You did it" Katniss exclaimed, throwing her arms around me
"Actually you did it, but thank you" I replied, "and what was this you said about baking a cake?"
"Fine, but don't let me mess up too badly" she told me
"I won't"

I took her down to the bakery
"Here?" She asked
"Yeah"
"You just want Mollie and Charlie to witness how bad I am, don't you?"
Mollie laughed.
"Everything you need is here" I told her.

I explained the instructions carefully, I thought it would be easy, but after dropping a bag of flour and almost putting in too sugar, I decided that Katniss was designated to be the next winner of Cake Boss.
I helped her a bit after that, and after taking it out of the oven, I deemed it edible.

"Never make me bake again" Katniss moaned as we were walking home.
"Fine, but never make me hunt again"
"But you looked sexy with a bow"
"And you would of made a sexy baker, if you didn't swear at the flour for annoying you"
"The flour was being a douchebag to me, I had to swear at it" Katniss explained
"I love you" Katniss whispered
"I love you too, despite the fact I'm ashamed at your baking skills"
Katniss laughed, reaching our front door step. "You're the best" she whispered, standing up on to her tiptoes and kissing me lightly. I unlocked the door, gently carrying her inside for a night of movie watching.