part five

"thanks for agreeing to come over. i mean you reeeally didn't need to." i smile and look over at y/n.

"sure. i mean, it's not like i had anything better to do! anyways, i want to make you feel better."

she offered to come back with me and hang out since my dad wouldn't be as bad with her around.

"here, turn here." we walk around the curb. "my house is the third one on this block."

"nice neighborhood." she says. i know it was just to be nice. but it gave me a warm feeling inside.

"thanks." i chuckle. we get to my house and i toss the skateboard on the lawn. neither nick or dad's cars were here, and when we went inside neither of them were home.

"here. sit here." i move over some clothes on the couch so y/n could sit down. i awkwardly sit on the clothes since there was nowhere else to sit.

"thanks." She offers a half smile, and sits down.

i turn to look at her. "hey man, thanks for coming over but they're not here and i'm sure you actually do have better things to do so if you want to go back you can, no hard feelings..." i scratch my neck awkwardly. god, why can't I just do this normally?

she smiles at me. "thanks. but if you're okay with it, i'll stay."

"ookay! yeah sure! we haven't had company in a while but uhhh you want a drink or something? I mean we have a lot of beer. My brother and dad both drink it. But there's water. and some coke. the drink. not drug."

she giggles "i'll have some coke, if that's okay."

"yeah. okay!."
i walk to the fridge, and take out two cans of coke for us.

"here you go. they might be expired by a few months though. i mean the last time anyone bought anything other than beer or condoms or  pizza delivery in this house was probably over ten years ago."

"het, we weren't meant to have a long time. just a good one." She winks, and we both laugh, and take a swig. it was way past it's expiration date. jokes aside, i honestly didn't even think coke expired.

a few minutes of small talk go by when i finally work up the courage to do something.
i take a deep breath.

"can I have your help with something? just tell me if I'm asking for too much."

"yeah, sure, finn! What do you want help with?"

"i want to be less like my father."

"so you want to not be an asshole?"

"yeah.."