Chapter Two-DEADLY ENCOUNTER

(UNEDITED)

Everynight, the coffee shop closed at around 8.00 p.m and Alibel usually went home at about 9.00 p.m after cleaning all the mess. However that night, she went a bit earlier home due to an emergency.It happened while she was serving one of the usual client, Mr Greyshaw,who was,as always,praising her for her stunning beauty, when she heard Mrs Rymond called her name. After taking that dumbass order,and delivering it to the cook, she went to see the owner.
"Yes,Mrs Rymond,you called me?" She asked casually.
Mrs Rymond looked at Alibel with eyes filled of anxiety and fear, and Alibel knew on the spot that something had happened to her sister. What Mrs Rymond said next only confirmed it."It's the home nurse.She tried several time to call you,but it seems that your phone is off."She said while handling the phone to Alibel."Its very urgent."
And that's when she knew,she knew deep in her heart that something really bad had happened. How could she had forgotten to charge her phone,and how many times had the nurse called her?A series of questions raced through her mind.But only one statement among all this thoughts preoccupied her. And that statement was that the nurse was supposed to call Alibel in one case only; only if her sister had to be taken urgently to the hospital. Alibel picked up the phone from Mrs Rymond hand and spoke to the nurse. She was telling Alibel to meet her at the hopital. Her sister's condition had suddenly worsened and she had to call the ambulance.The home nurse also informed her that she was currently at the hospital with Camelia, and that she should come immediately.Without looking back and forth,she ran to her locker,took all her things and almost ran to the hospital in her waitress attire.It was 7.17 p.m when she rushed out of the coffee shop to the hospital.

When she finally arrived at the hospital after taking a cab, she went to the enquiry desk to ask about her sister's whereabout.
"Room 219" said the nurse,and she ran again. She had only one fear: she was afraid to be too late.Afraid of not having the opportunity to at least say goodbye.

When she finally found Camelia's room,she barged in.The home nurse was sitting next to her.When she saw Alibel,she stood up,walked next to her, brushed her shoulder lightly,shook her head,and left the room. Alibel then walked deeper into the room,next to her sister,whose eyes were now opened. There were a set of medical apparatus attached to her, regulating her heart and maintening her alive.She looked so pale,with her shaven head and dried brittle lips,as Alibel approached her bed slowly. She sat down next to Camelia,and held her hand.Camelia tried to smile but she seemed to be making a great effort to be able to do so.
"Hi Lia," Alibel said softly. Camelia tried to smile again but under the respiratory mask, Alibel could see how she grinned in pain instead. That's when Alibel totally lost control and broke into tears. She hugged Camelia chest with both of her  arms. Camelia tried to caress her head,but all the tubes attached to her arms prevented her from making any movement.After a while, Alibel heard footsteps behind her. She raised her head to see Dr.Thompson,the medical oncologist. He was the one who was in charged of the cancer specialist team.
"Miss Riverbell,I need to talk to you" he said in his deep grave voice. Alibel nodded and rose up. After lightly kissing her sister on her forehead, she followed him out of the room.
Dr.Thompson was also the one that had looked after Mrs Alessandra.He was a highly qualified  medical oncologist .The best in the region.He knew Alibel's mother for a long time,because she used to work as a nurse at this hospital before she died.
Outside of the room, Alibel followed him to the next room,which was empty.
"Sit down Miss Riverbell"he practically ordered her. Alibel sat silently,facing him.
He looked at her,and by his expression,Alibel could see that he looked defeated,as if he had lost a very important battle.He sighed deeply,a sigh filled with sorrow,and that's when Alibel's eyes started flooding again.
"I hate to say this..." He started then paused." Gosh,this is what i hate the most about this job"
And Alibel knew again, she knew deep in the darkest,undiscovered place in her heart that she was going to lose her sister. Her heart broke again for the third time.And she bent her head,crying more loudly than ever. Dr. Thomson approached her and hugged her. Alibel looked at him,and he sighed again.
"I'm sorry Miss Riverbell,but i must inform you that..your sister's metabolism is rejecting the chemotherapy treatment.She may not survive for the next two months"he said sadly.
"NO!NO!NO!" Alibel yelled "You can't do this to me!You were supposed to keep her alive until i could find a cure!"
Alibel did not understand,she could not.Why did she had to lose her too.' God please',she pleaded with all her might,'save her for me.I need her in my life.Without her,i won't make it.'
All her dreams,all her hope shattered at this instant, in this moment. She was on the way to reach her goal,but she had been too slow,too late to help her sister. She sat down in the room,and cried all she could.
She heard the doctor saying"Do you wish to keep her at the hospital,or at home?"
"Home" She answered between sobs.
"Okay.I will arrange everything that is necessary to make her stay at your home comfortable.I will give you all the medication she will need in the next few days too.And don't worry about the fees for the consultation and treatment today,i will pay it all.."he paused."in memory of your mother" and he left Alibel alone,in that empty room,where she cried some more,till she had no more tears left.