Chapter Sixteen: DEADLY HESITATION

Death's POV

Somewhere in between the realms of the living and the dead.....

Death roamed in between the realms, searching for his informant. He needed to investigate the tainted scent he smelled off his Alibel.

He was still blaming himself for leaving his Alibel for a fortnight. Another mistake. He could not afford making any other. Not now. He should have never gone for so long. Even if his emotions had been erratic, he should have still met with her. Now he had opened a door where he could lose her. That Zayne had really taken an important place in her heart. He saw it on her face. But even though she kept defending that Zayne and her relationship with him, never once had she said that she was in love with him. And that's how Death knew that everything was not lost. He still had the opportunity to make things right. But he needed to find Fate. He needed to know why Fate decided to mingle into his business when Fate had been neutral all this time. Why did Fate move now to tip the scale? Something was wrong. He could feel it. But Fate could hide like no one else between realms.

So he needed to meet his informant to find Fate. Time was running. He had to still do his binding as the embodiment of death and  find Fate at the same time. To meet with an ancient being, like himself. To meet with one of the member of his old legion when all this time he avoided them at all cost. His past was rapidly catching up with him. He knew it. Hate had sworn to take revenge. And Hate would never stop until Hate achieved the ultimate goal Hate set for so long. Destroying Death.

Death sped up and went to the light realm. There he could find his informant: Knowledge. Knowledge knew all about everyone and everything. She was the book of the universe. She stored everything and shared everything. It was because of her that humans, animals and all other living things had knowledge. May it be a minor knowledge or a major one, all came from her. She was the source of all knowledge. But the hardest part would be to make her talk. Knowledge liked to keep all her knowledge to herself. She didn't like to share because for her 'knowledge' was the ultimate power, a good knowledge had the power to save and a bad one, to destroy. That's why she never spilled out any important information. So, he would have to convince her to tell him where Fate was. And that was going to be one tedious job. After that he could find Fate. Only then he would know what Fate has done and why Fate had done it.

He disappeared in a cloud of sombre smoke as he entered the light realm.
__________________________________________________________________________

The next day...
Alibel woke up, unable to move from the bed. She couldn't fight what was coming next because she didn't know what was coming next.

She heard her mobile phone vibrate. She has just received a message from Zayne. She opened it. It read:
"Good morning beautiful. I hope you are awake. I wanted to say that I had the best day of my life yesterday. It was really magical. You made it magical. I really want to see you. So I will come later and bring some ice cream. I know Priscille is off today. So i will come to keep you company. My pleasure. I am missing you too much. See you later. With lots of love. Zayne."

Alibel put her phone away and hid her face in her pillow. What was she supposed to do now? She did not want to avoid Zayne despite Death's warning. She couldn't. He has taken an enormous place in her life now. But on the other hand, Death was back. And back with him came the illogical feelings she had for him. But she had no future with him. His world was miles away from hers. His mission as death, as he always said, was important. So he couldn't leave his world to share Alibel's life with her sister. And she couldn't leave her world. Camelia was part of her world and she couldn't follow him and leave her alone. That was inconceivable. There was no way his world and hers could collide.