Chapter Three - Leaving Her Family

"Evie."

I sighed and rolled over.

"Evie, wake up."

"Why?" I whined.

"He's here."

I turned my head and opened one eye. "What? Who's here?"

"Who do you think?" Vega asked, crossing her arms.

Then I remembered.

"Oh."

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Throwing the blanket from over my legs, I sat up and swung my legs over the side of the couch.

Vega sat down next to me. "Do you want to run upstairs and hide in my closet? I can tell him you left this morning and went home."

I smiled and swung my arm around her shoulder. "Vega, if I thought that would work, I would be halfway up the staircase right now."

She laughed.

"Evie, honey, I made breakfast. Adam just pulled into the driveway if you want to go invite him in to eat," Mrs. Chandler yelled from the kitchen.

The doorbell rang a few moments later and Vega got up to go open the door. 

"You might want to run your fingers through your hair and go pop a breath mint really fast," She advised, laughing.

I looked at her wide-eyed. "I don't have on a bra either."

I ran past her and up the stairs to her room. I quickly changed back into my sweater and jeans from the day before. I borrowed some deodorant and brushed my teeth quickly. I was walking back down the stairs, running my fingers through my hair, when I heard Adam's voice.

"I appreciate that, Mrs. Chandler. We are a little short on time this morning, however, so we'll need to be going," he said politely. She had invited him to stay for breakfast.

As if he sensed me standing there, Adam turned around and met my gaze. I slowly walked down the stairs and he greeted me at the bottom. "Good morning," he said softly. 

"Morning," I said.

"We need to go ahead and leave," he said. "I'll be waiting just outside while you say goodbye."

I nodded, not meeting his gaze.

"It was nice to meet you," Adam said, shaking the hand of both Mr. and Mrs. Chandler. He gave me one last look before heading out the front door.

They all turned to look at me and I smiled, trying to hold back tears.

"Does your boyfriend play football?" Brennan asked. 

I laughed at this and shook my head. "I don't know." 

"He should play basketball. Did you see how tall he is?" Ethan commented.

"Hush," Mrs. Chandler said. "You two say goodbye to Evie now. We don't know when we'll see her again."

The two of them walked up, their arms wrapping around my waist and faces pressing into my stomach. "Will you be home for our birthday? It's in February, you know," Ethan said.

I laughed, hugging them back. "I'll try to be."

They both ran up the stairs behind me and I looked at Mrs. Chandler, who was crying. 

I couldn't help but cry myself as I walked over to her and threw my arms around her neck. "I'll miss you so much," I whispered.

"I'll miss you too, honey," She said, pulling away. "You tell that man of yours that he has to take good care of you, you hear?"