Chapter Fourteen - Flower Power

"You did what?!"

I sat awkwardly in the desk chair watching Adam yell at Victoria with a very confused looking Devereaux Sr. looking on.

"You have been very distracted lately," she said coolly. "So, I took it upon myself to inform your father and bring him here to help keep you focused."

"Does anyone want tea?" His father asked.

Very focused indeed.

"You took it upon yourself?" Adam asked. "No one asked you to do that, if anything he will be a distraction."

"A distraction?" Adam's father asked. "I'm not a distraction. Now, your pretty lady over there is a distraction, which we have promptly been ignoring. Hello, darling! My name is Malcom Deveraux, I'm Adam's father. It is a pleasure to meet you."

He reached out and kissed my hand.

This was the second time that morning he had introduced himself to me.

"You are a very stunning woman!" He exclaimed brightly.

"Barely a woman," Victoria muttered.

If looks could kill, Adam's glare would have done the job.

"Don't listen to her," Malcom said to me. "She never had a mate, which I think it's because she's a bit of a bitch."

I tried not to laugh as Victoria rolled her eyes.

"You know," he continued, "I think I was about your age when I married Adam's mother."

"She's twenty," Victoria said.

"Oh, good heavens!" Malcom exclaimed. "You are just a child! Oh well, you've got a long life ahead of you, live it well!"

Victoria closed her eyes in frustration and Adam sighed heavily.

"Does anyone want tea?" Malcom asked, for the second time.

"I'm fine, thank you," I said politely.

"I'll take some," Adam said. "No cream, bit of sugar though."

"Nonsense!" Malcome exclaimed. "You will drink it black! It will put hair on your chest, boy!"

"Take Victoria with you when you go," Adam said as his father turned to leave.

"Would you like to come too, darling?" Malcom asked me.

"She's going to stay here with me," Adam said.

"Oh, I see..." Malcom said, giving me an exaggerated blink, which I assumed was supposed to be a wink, as Adam ushered them out the door.

"Malcom, this is not what we discussed over the phone," Victoria said firmly as they left the room.

Adam turned around and sighed loudly.

"He's a character," I said laughing.

"He's lost his mind," Adam said, taking a seat beside me. "That's why I sent him away."