Chapter Seven - Heat

Author's Warning: This chapter is a slightly gory so don't read if you don't like blood.

- - -

"What the hell!"

I shoved and pushed at Adam's chest and he finally stepped back.

Seeing the blood that was coating his mouth and dripping down his jaw and neck, I raised a trembling hand to my own neck.

Warm, sticky blood coated my fingers and I pulled my hand away in disgust to see the blood had drenched my clothes.

"Oh my God!" I screamed.

I took off towards the bathroom, pushed open the door and ran towards the sink.

Why doesn't this hurt?

I ignored that thought as it crept into my mind.

"Why the hell did you do that?!" I screamed.

Adam didn't answer, just calmly strolled into the bathroom behind me.

I took a towel from the shelf and ran it under cold water.

I gently put the towel to my neck, expecting there to be some kind of sting. When there was none I began to wipe away the blood that had stopped flowing.

"What the hell?" I mumbled.

I looked in the mirror to see a smirk on Adam's face as he stood behind me.

"Are you happy with yourself?! Look what you've done!" I screeched, shoving the bloody towel in his face.

He began to clean my blood off his face with his own towel and calmly threw it aside.

"It needed to be done sooner than later," he said evenly.

"What needed to be done?! What are you? Half Vampire?" I yelled, still wiping away the blood from my neck.

As soon as I cleaned the skin, I saw that the wound had closed up already.

"What on earth? Why is it already healed? I've never healed that quick..." I mumbled, thinking aloud.

Behind me, Adam was unbuttoning his bloodied shirt. I turned to look at him.

"Why did you do that?!" I asked again. 

"It's a mark," he said, as if that explained it.

"Yeah! You're right! It probably will leave a mark you idiot! That was assault!" I screeched, throwing a bar of soap at his head.

Adam sidestepped it before it had even left my hand, leaving the soap to skid across the bathroom floor to the other side of the room.

"That's a bit of an overreaction," he commented, throwing his bloody shirt into a nearby clothes hamper.

"Overreaction?!" I seethed. "You just bit me!"

"It's a claim," he said, crossing his arms over his bare chest. "Every female mate has one, and you have mine now."

"Your claim?" I asked incredulously, still eyeing the closed up wound. "What makes you think you have the right to place a claim on me, or that I would even want it? I'm not your property!"

He rolled his eyes.

"You're my mate, that mark will ward off any mateless male wolves looking for a wife. It tells them that you are already mated," Adam explained.

"Most men can do the same thing with diamond rings!" I yelled, pulling off my own shirt. "And that does not excuse the fact that you just fucking took a chunk out of my neck with your teeth and put some claim on me!"