Chapter Twenty-Four - Denying Rejection

I was shocked.

I knew what Tyler had been sent by the Europeans to do, I just never thought he would actually do it.

Jace had followed me out of the ballroom—I assumed because he felt guilty about prying to Adam and I's relationship—and he growled when he laid eyes on Tyler and the Alpha Superior.

Immediately, I saw Tyler's face turn pale at the sight of Jace.

The German Alpha Superior looked over to Jace and I.

"Is there a problem?" He asked.

"You tell me," Jace said.

"Um-no! No problem here, Beta Superior Eaton," Tyler stuttered out.

Damn, he really was scared of Jace.

I couldn't read the Alpha Superior's face. Did he know? Did he not know?

"Tyler could you leave us for a moment?" I asked.

Tyler swallowed hard and walked the long way around Jace to go back into the ballroom.

"You as well, Jace."

His eyes narrowed at me as I said this.

Throwing a suspicious glance at both myself and the German Alpha, he turned around slowly and left us standing in the hallway.

My heart was beating a thousand miles a minute as I approached the Alpha Superior with my hand outstretched.

"I haven't had the chance to introduce myself," I said. "My name is Evelyn Schubert."

He took my hand in his and kissed the top of it.

"A German name," he commented. "My name is Alpha Superior Ludwig Schneider. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Although he was sweet-talking me, his eyes were showing a man who was entirely too bored with this conversation.

"The pleasure is all mine," I said, faking sincerity. "I'd like to apologize for Tyler. He's known for being a bit long-winded at times."

He smiled politely.

"It's quite alright, fräulein," he said. "We'd only been speaking for a moment."

I hummed in response.

"Well, I'm sure you'd like to get back to the ball," I stated, smiling. "Allow me to walk with you."

This man cannot be wandering the halls unaccompanied. I don't trust him.

He nodded and offered his arm.

Sliding my hand to rest on the inside of his arm, I began to walk with him back down the hallway and into the ballroom.

"Tell me," I said. "I've met Diedrick, but I'm afraid I don't know know your youngest son's name..."

I was lying, obviously. However, the awkward tension was too great to be walking in silence.

"Ah, that would be Barret," he answered. "I can introduce you, if you'd like."