Chapter Thirty-Seven - Husband and Wife

"Just breathe..."

I took a deep breath as Mrs. Chandler placed her hands on my shoulders.

"You look beautiful," she said, smiling at my reflection in the mirror.

I smiled.

"Thank you."

Laura adjusted the corset straps in the back of my dress and nodded in agreement.

"You look beautiful."

It had taken Liu and her mother over an hour to finish my hair and makeup. Fortunately for me, Liu's mother was an expert in everything beauty and was able to help complete my wedding look.

My hair was pinned back away from my face and flowed down my back in loose curls. My makeup was natural with the exception of red lipstick.

I took a deep breath and glanced at Victoria as she came in through the sitting room door and closed it behind her.

She gasped as she laid eyes on me.

"You look stunning," she breathed out.

"Thank you," I said softly.

She glanced around the room at Vega and Liu, who were both in their dresses. Liu held my bouquet in one hand and hers in the other as her mother fixed her hair. Vega sat in the corner, picking at her nails.

We heard a knock at the door and Victoria turned to open it.

Standing in the doorway was Jace.

He was dressed in a tuxedo, his eyes immediately finding Liu. I swore I saw his glance soften, but just as soon as I saw it, it was gone.

Jace looked over to me and smiled.

"Wow," he said smiling.

"Adam's a lucky guy," he said, walking inside the room.

I smiled.

He glanced around the room awkwardly.

"Can we have the room please?"

Laura, Victoria, Liu, her mother, Vega, and Mrs. Chandler all left quickly and quietly.

"Is everything alright?" I asked him, walking over to where he stood.

Jace nodded.

"He wants to see you."

I laughed.

"He can't..."

Jace shrugged.

"It's bad luck," I insisted.

"He's outside the door," he told me.

My smiled fell and I faltered.

"He can't see me," I said.

"What if he closes his eyes?" Jace suggested.

I took a deep breath.

"Fine."

Jace smiled and turned around to walk back to the door as I stood there anxiously.

He opened the door and I heard a muffled exchange of voices.

"You're joking?" I heard his accented voice say.

I heard more muffled voices before a groan.

He walked around the corner and I bit my lip trying not to laugh.

Adam had a hand over his eyes, using the other hand to feel his way inside the room.

"I feel like a bloody idiot," he said.