Chapter 26

I slept in late the night day, both exhausted from the night before and also as preparation for the late night I was sure to have tonight with Voldemort. I woke up very hungover, but one potion later and I was fine.

When I came down I looked for any tell that Severus knew what happened last night. Blake wasn't in the kitchen with him as I grabbed my breakfast, but that wasn't unusual,

"Do you know what came up with Blake?" Severus asked.

I was confused, "What do you mean?"

"There was a note on the counter this morning. He said he had to go home, that his parents wanted him to come home but it didn't say why. I was just thinking maybe he woke you up to tell you but I guess he didn't."

I shook my head in wonder, "No, he didn't tell me anything. That's odd though, it seemed like they were fine with him staying."

I tried to keep my composure in front of Severus and come up with reasons why Blake had to leave but in my heart I knew the answer. It was because of what the two of us had done last night. He must have regretted it and didn't want to face me or have tell me. My heart sunk at the prospect of losing my best friend over this, and it hurt even more that I might lose the boy I was meant to be with, if that boy was even Blake.

I put my head in my hands which Severus must've thought was just from him leaving. If only he knew.There was no way I could let my father know about any of this, I didn't think he would think too highly of it.

"What time does he want me to go over?" I asked.

"Six," was his reply.

"I'm going to head over around five fifty then," I told him.

I spent the day resting until it was time for me to head over to Malfoy Manor for some training with Voldemort. I had been learning and practicing everything he told me to, and I was confident about all the spells, but something didn't sit right in my stomach when I thought about it.

Soon I bid Severus goodbye and stepped through the fireplace to Malfoy Manor. Draco was there to greet me, and he went to hang up my bigger cloak.

"Thanks," I told him once he returned.

He nodded in way of saying you're welcome then asked me, "Are you nervous?"

I shrugged, "I was the first few times, but now not as much. I'm not sure why, but he's never too harsh, he just wants to teach me."

Draco looked horrible as I looked him over and as his voice cracked as he told me, "That's good."

I moved closer to him and dropped my voice to a whisper, "Are you okay? Has he done something to you?"

He shook his head, "He hasn't done anything, no. He yelled at me for failing, and I had to talk to him about my next plans but I could handle it, I guess. It's exhausting having him here. And I know he's mad at my father for screwing up even if Dad got out of Azkaban quickly, so that's rough."

"I'm sorry," I said softly, "I'm sure it's hard with it being tense this whole time. You're always welcome to come over to my house if it gets unbearable."

"Thank you. Blake's there too now right? How is he?"

"He had to go home, his parents called him away," I replied tightly.

When Voldemort appeared at the archway to the next room I think that's the only time I'll ever say I was thankful to see him. Draco looked like he wanted to ask me another question about Blake and I wasn't sure I could answer it.

Like normal Voldemort and I apparated to the middle of a forest, which I had now decided was the Forest of Dean from some research about the area.

For hours we dueled, and he critiqued my technique. The unpleasant feeling of being happy he was proud was bubbling up again as he told me how talented I was. It wasn't that other people didn't tell me I was good, or that I needed to be told, but I knew that he didn't feel obligated to tell me anything good, he did simply because he fully believed it.

As we dueled I started to recognize some weaknesses he had. When he cast a spell he hand a tendency to lurch forward so if you could sneak a spell in directed at his side real quick, he was extremely vulnerable. He also didn't like having to move to try to cast a spell. If his target was right in front of him, he was sure to hit them, but once they started moving he got a bit worse.

I was hardly holding back, but it was just enough holding back that I thought I could probably beat him in a duel if I pulled out all my best shots. It didn't seem like he was holding back either, so if this was his full power against my fullish power I thought I was in a good spot. I was even impressed with myself. I knew that besides Albus Dumbledore there might be no more powerful witch or wizard alive than the man I was dueling. Granted I had won a duel against Dumbledore, but I think that was due more to his shock at my abilities than pure abilities.

At the end of our training I was drenched in sweat despite the fact that it was probably twenty degrees out. Voldemort walked over to me, his arms outstretched.

"I see you have been practicing. Your power is growing. Dumbledore will never know what hit him. You are more powerful than he could ever believe. You know things he wouldn't dream of ever teaching at that school of his."

"I am happy that my talents are agreeable to you," I told him.

"Yes, very," he told me, "You should prepare yourself for greatness for that is what we are going to achieve. You should go home and rest. Learn those spells I taught you, but I think this is enough training for now. Soon Dumbledore will be gone, and I will begin my final takeover. There is much I have to prepare for, but I think you are ready for the final battle now."

I was sure I was ready for the final battle. It just wouldn't be his side that I was fighting for. I had no idea how Harry was expected to kill Voldemort. My skills were far beyond his and I wasn't sure I could beat him. I would help Harry in any way I could, maybe give him pointers for where Voldemort's weaknesses were.

With that dismissal I left. When I arrived home I was a bit battered and bruised but otherwise perfectly fine. I gave up trying to not feel proud of myself for his approval. It was normal to want approval and to have people think you're great, wasn't it? Once Severus was sure I was okay, he allowed me to go to bed.