Chapter 48

so i have a new book i've been working on that you guys should definitely check out. it's called ludic and it's a snily story after the end of the first wizarding world up until the end of harry's time at hogwarts. i manipulated a lot of severus's history and character (much like i did in this one) to make him more lovable and snily not seem so dumb. i'm going to post the first chapter tomorrow and i'll be updating every monday and friday for that one so keep an eye out for that if that sounds interesting! #shamelessselfpromotion

We both nodded and followed her out of the room up to her new office as hgrid left to gather the heads of houses.

"I need to know what the two of you were doing with Dumbledore last night."

I looked at Harry who seems to be thinking the same thing I was, "Sorry Professor, but we can't tell you that," Harry told her.

"It's important I'm sure, we must know."

"It is important," I assured her, "Which is why Dumbledore old us we weren't allowed to tel we were doing. We can take care of it."

"In light of the new situation I think it might be best if you just told us so that the adults and Order can all know," she said pinching the bridge of her nose.

I shook my head again and said quietly, "I assure you, we can't tell you. We would if we thought we could, but even with Dumbledore being gone it's still important that we not tell anyone else what we were doing."

A portrait hanging on the wall said, "The Minister is just about here, he just apparated from the Ministry."

"Thank you Phyllis," McGonagall replied.

The door opened and in walked Sprout, Flitwick and Slughorn. They all looked distraught, and were whispering quietly amongst themselves. Hagrid was with them.

They began discussing the possibility that Hogwarts might not open its doors next year, but there seems to be a consensus that Hogwarts should stay open, but that they would let the governors decide in the end.

"We can arrange for the Hogwarts Express to come tomorrow, to send the kids home early," McGonagall said.

"What about Dumbledore's funeral?" Harry asked, "I know he wanted to be buried here at Hogwarts. Kids will want to stay until after that so they can say-"

The last word seemed to get caught in his throat but Flitwick finished the sentence for him, "Goodbye."

"That does seem fitting," Sprout put in.

McGonagall nodded and as I looked at her, her age was finally starting to show for the first time since I met the woman, "That's what we shall do then."

"The two of you need to get out of here before the Minster gets here, I don't want him interrogating either of you tonight. Go be with your friends."

We nodded and walked out of the office and up to the Gryffindor common room. The common room was packed, as I had thought it would be. Harry and I parted ways with a small sympathetic smile and each walked past everyone in the common room adn up to our bedrooms.

As I had expected Hermione and Ginny were sitting on her ed when i came in. None of the other girls were up here yet, and I thanked the powers that be for that.

"Hey Jess," Hermione greeted somberly.

"Hi," I squeaked back.

"I'm going to go to bed," Ginny announced, "I'm glad both of you are okay."

"Goodnight Ginny, sleep well," I bade her.

"Did you guys get it? Did you get one of the Horcruxes at least?" Hermione asked once Ginny had left.

I shook my head angrily, "We got there and we went through this whole thing and it turns out the bloody locket was a fake! Soemoe had already taken the real one."

"Who would've done that?" Hermione questioned.

I shrugged, "I dunno but there was a note. You can ask Harry exactly what it said tomorrow, but it was singed with the initials RAB."

"Who could that be?"

I shrugged again and shook my head, "I have no idea."

I wasn't even very curious about who this mysterious man was at the moment. All I cared about was the fact that I had lost my father, my best friend, and even Draco all in one sweep. Now I was sitting on information that alienated me from everyone else I was around. Not to mention I was still definitely a Death Eater accomplice, I couldn't just leave Voldemort entirely.

The next few days were a hectic mess. Classes were cancelled and end of year exams were postponed in preparation for Dumbledore's funeral. Several kids went home over the next few days, claiming Hogwarts was too dangerous for them. Several Slytherin students had left also, but I knew this was to join their parents on the other side of the war, not because they didn't think Hogwarts was safe anymore. Witches and Wizards had been streaming into Hogsmeade is what I had been told to get ready to pay their final respects to Albus Dumbledore. A few teachers from Beauxbatons including Madame Maxime arrived in their flying carriage and were being situated in some empty staffing quarters. There was also a delegation of Ministry officials staying at Hogwarts including the Minister himself. Harry and I went to great lengths to avoid him. I wasn't sure how well it was going to go when we told the Minister of Magic we couldn't tell him where Dumbledore had gone on his last night.

Bill was still recovering in the Hospital Wing but luckily he had woken up. This meant the Weasleys came every day, so we would often accompany Ron and ginny up to see their family.

Harry carried around the loket with him wherever he went, and while i wasn't sure if that was healthy I wasn't much better. I always had my father's letter in the pocket of my cloak no matter where I went. I desperately wanted to believe that he was innocent. Though really, how innocent could he be sine he still killed Dumbledore even if Dumbledore told him to. I knew if I ever lost the letter the parchment wouldn't reveal the words to anyone else, it was designed so only I could read it.

The funeral was to e held the following morning. I had never been to a funeral before but Neville had, so he filled all of us in on what was going to happen. I stayed up late the night before packing. To go where, I didn't know, it's not like I could go home, but I would figure that out later. I could get a Muggle job and get an apartment, or I could try to get a wizarding job and stay at the Hog's Head Inn. There were a few options I could take advantage of now that I was old enough to work and support myself.