Chapter 41

The frosty tension between the two of them didn't go away over the next week as I had been hoping. In fact, tensions all around the school were rising. Word had gotten out about what Harry had done to Draco and it wasn't uncommon to find Slytherins and Gryffindors cursing each other out in the hall. Things were tense among the Gryffindor team members. Ginny had taken over as Captain for Harry, but none of the team was happy that Harry wouldn't be able to play during the match. He was our best player ,and we needed him if we wanted any chance to beat Ravenclaw. Even if I could catch the Snitch before the other Seeker , we needed to be up by 150 points already too and Harry was going to be the only way we could do that.

Finally the day of the match was upon us. The excitement was still there, but without harry, I had no idea how were going to pull this off. The rest of the team seemed to be in the same mood.

I guess I shouldn't have resigned myself to losing. Ginny came onto the field and blew the competition away, scoring a hundred points just by herself. Once Gryffindor was up by 70 points the rest of the team finally started to act like they were alive. I saw the Snitch but made no move on it, I just tried to follow it with my eyes without giving it away. We needed to be up by 150 points before I caught the Snitch, and I couldn't tip off the Ravenclaw Seeker about where it was. It disappeared from my sight and I sighed, but sat back on my broom again and continued to watch the game. Finally we were exactly 150 points ahead and I began to scan for the Snitch. I  saw it and began to speed after it. The Ravenclaw Seeker realized what had happened and began to speed after me, but I was too far ahead for him to catch up. I went into a dive after the small ball and firmly grasped it in my hand before landing on the ground and raising it into the air. THe crowd went wild, Gryffindor had won by 310 points, just enough for Gryffindor to take home the House Cup. The team and much of the Gryffindor crowd retired to our common room where the party Hermione and I had planned was all set up and ready to go.

Halfway through the party Harry came into the Common Room nervously but his face lit up as he saw the celebrations, "We won!" shouted Ron as he made his way over to his best friend.

"We won the House CUp!" Ginny exclaimed.

Harry's face lit up even further and he fathered Ginny in his arms and kissed her causing Ron to turn red and turn away. I laughed at this. Sure, he had given the two of them his blessing, but it didn't mean he wanted to see his little sister making out with his best friend right in front of him. Hermione seemed to sense this because she led Run away by the arm to get another drink. I talked to members of the team and some of the various Gryffindor students I had met over the years about the match but I was keeping a close eye on Neville. He was talking to some girl in the year below us, and I felt a pang of jealousy in my chest. I pushed it down, I was the one that kept pushing Neville away, he was allowed to talk to whichever girls he pleased.

I went to bed early that night, while all the festivities were still going on. I suspected no one would miss my presence as they had other people to be around. I took five potions, a hefty amount even for me, and closed my eyes as a few tears leaked out of my eyes. I couldn't handle boys on top of everything else, I refused to think about it.

A few days later and Harry still hadn't dared to get his book back. I couldn't tell if it was because he was scared he might be caught, or because he was scared of what Hermione might do to him if he tried to get it back.

We were all sitting on the couch one evening when Hermione brought up the subject again, "So I was still curious about this Prince's identity and I think I may have a valid idea."

She held out what seemed to be a clipping of the Daily Prophet out to Harry who scanned it over and laughed, "This says Eileen Prince. You can't seriously think this is the Half Blood Prince Hermione."