Chapter 49

The next morning we all agreed to Hermione's nagging to go to breakfast to at least get a little something to eat. The funeral was going to be held at noon then the Hogwarts Express was going to leave an hour after the funeral was over, or parents could just apparate their kids home if they wanted.

At breakfast Dumbledore's absence was certainly felt. The large chair he normally sat in, that McGonagall now had the right to sit in, was left empty while McGonagall stayed in her normal seat. Rufus Scrimgeour had taken my father's seat, and Hagrid's was empty.

The air was somber and everyone already seemed dressed for the funeral. If people were talking it was in hushed tones, about risky subjects. No one was eating much.

Everyone remained in the Great Hall far past the time for breakfast was over all the way to 11:30 when McGonagall got up and told everyone, "It's nearly time. If everyone could follow your head of house outside we will be sitting by house."

We followed McGonagall outside. THe day was far too bright and beautiful for it to be the day we lay to rest the greatest wizard to ever live. There was a cool breeze whistlin through the ari, and there were flowers beginning to sprout up around the grounds outside. The sun shone proudly above. When we got outside there were hundreds and hundreds of chairs set up with the center being a large marble coffin. THe sunlight glinted off the coffin almost blindingly. The students seemed to be the last major group to arrive but we all had reserved seats toward the front. As we walked to our seats I could pick out the Weasley family in the crowd. BIll had even come out of the Hospital to attend. They were sitting right next to Lupin, Tonks and Sirius. THe castle ghosts had come out to mourn, including Peeves who for the first time since I had met him was not speaking loudly or causing any commotion. The House Elves were also seated outside in their own section.

A soft hum began to sound from the Black Lake. Soon it surged to much louder music. Barely visible beneath the surface I could make out what seemed to be the whole colony of merpeople singing. The song was not in English but the harmonious sounds soon hushed the large crowd as everyone listened to their song of mourning for the man that had kept them safe on Hogwarts grounds for so many years.

When the song was over everyone's head turned to the back and I followed their eyes. Hagrid, in his only suit he owned was sobbing heavily as he carried Dumbledore's body in his arms which had been draped over with a large purple sheet.

Everyone watched transfixed as he walked down the whole aisle, and placed the body into the large white coffin. Neville grabbed onto my hand and I could feel wetness on my face. Hermione and Ginny were next to me crying and being comforted. Ron was very pale, and looked as though he couldn't believe what was happening. Harry had a few tears running down his face but his mouth was set in a hard straight line as he stared at Hagrid. One hand was in Ginny's and one was in his pocket. I was sure he was feeling the locket he always carried with him, a last moment to remember Dumbledore by.

Once Hagrid deposited the body he went to the back where he sat down next to Grawp. I wondered how I had missed him coming in, but I was in such a state it was a wonder I could make out anyone that was here.

My thoughts were taken from me when a small man dressed in long black robes came to the front. He began to speak but I couldn't hear his words, nor did I care to listen. I was sure he was going to give some long speech detailing all the things that DUmbledore was great at, that Dumbledore himself didn't see as his greatest attributes. Instead I took this time to look around me. The centaurs were standing at the edge of the forest listening in and paying their respects to Dumbledore. Nearly anyone from the wizarding world that I slightly knew seemed to be present.

It hit me that I was seated at Dumbledore's funeral. It had always seemed as though the man was invincible, yet here I was waiting for him to be buried. He had given the Wizarding world so much both in academics and in the spirit of who he was. He had given me personally so much, even if he had also taken so much from me. I knew the man was no saint, but he had certainly done all he could. I wasn't sure how I was going to navigate through the war without him. Now was Harry supposed to give directions without knowing anything? Was I supposed to somehow help him? Dumbledore was always the one behind all our best plans.