Nine

Harry.

Living in constant fear was something I had to endure since the day I knew about this... new way of life. Where we're humans, but at the same time we're not. We still have the human factors, functioning organs and blood pumping through our veins, the physically features and making mistakes, obviously we're not perfect. But what separates us from that race is our true identity, through generations and millenniums our families were different.

Whilst every kid in school went to those outdoor excursions, camps, and did all these activities where their parents attended; I never had that. A child who missed conferences, a kid who barely went to school because he was troubled, a kid who was bullied for being the odd one out and not fitting in. I always knew I was different from the others, nobody had my view on the world.

Some thought that it's all the grass is green, the sky is blue, but that's just the pretty façade the world puts on to hide away how much of a fuck up everything is. It's the same with people, we pretend and eventually convince ourselves we're fine, running away from the reality and the truth. It's our way of life.

When I heard my father had left, packed his things and left for good, that was when I felt happiness. Freedom. Being concealed away, trying to raise me his way which was the wrong way. He's like the devil trying to persuade his followers that doing wrong is what would make them invincible, as humans or not. That the wrong way was in fact the right way to go. That's just a bullshit lie.

But now, seeing him standing opposite of me; that fear had returned. It was all too good to be true, he couldn't have just left without coming back, there's always a catch. Life is too good to be true.

"Excellent speech, really. And that conversation with Zayn? Bravo. I didn't think you had it in you, such emphasis," he laughed stepping forward. "You've grown up well."

There was silence throughout the Nemora. Nobody had moved an inch. He looked around as if he were expecting some sort of warm welcome or hand shake, but he was trash around us. I just wanted to snap his neck right here, right now.

"What are you doing here, Dave?" Michael's voice rang through my ears, he was besides me holding my jacket. He must've been in my head again, known what I was thinking.

Screw you, Michael.

"Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe my son is turning twenty-two in 4 months. I think we all know what that means. Yes?" I wanted to wipe that damn smirk off his face. One clean punch across his jaw, it's all I want. Just the satisfaction of it would calm me in the slightest way but for the longest time.

"Your brain will explode with those thoughts. Clear your head mate. Don't let him get to you, it's what he wants." Michael whispered so nobody would be able to hear us.

"Always did give good advice, Michael. Tell me, how's Tamara?"

There were gasps sounded, including mine. Besides me I felt Michael stiffen, I could hear his ragged breathing. It was he whom needed to clear his mind. "Don't. You. Dare." He muttered, teeth gritted and fists clenched.

"Oh come on! I know how much you want to tear me until I'm nothing but mushy flesh. Go on then Michael, give us your best shot."

"DAVE!"

Michael and I flinched at the sound. All the men and women cleared a path for a figure that kept his head held high. It was dark and hard to see who it was, but I knew, and I know my father knows exactly who it is. I looked over my shoulder at the man I once used to call Dad, I could've sworn I saw a slight fear of emotion spread through his features. I must've imagined it because right now he was just smiling.