Twenty-Eight

24 hours before...

"Try again! He's been out for hours!"

I coughed loudly but refrained from moving anywhere. I knew I was still standing, I could feel my feet quivering on their own, and I could feel the blood rushing from my arms and the numbness that possessed them. Everything stung, everything felt heavy. My throat felt dry and swollen, and as I lapped my tongue over my lips I realised how dehydrated I was once the dry skin wasn't lubricated.

"Get the man some water!"

"Harry, come on man. Open your eyes."

I grunted in annoyance, turning my head away from whoever was in front of me, but by the voice I recognised it as Louis. My eyes were tightly shut, hoping that he could leave me alone in my peace.

"Twenty four hours left mate. We need to secure you to the wall now."

"Mm-" I winced loudly once I tried moving my fingers. I felt the movement, but it hurt as I did so. "No feel... my arms."

"Yeah," I heard him sigh. "We raised the chains higher so the mark wouldn't feed off energy from your blood. Its power won't be as strong as it was before, but your hands are gonna be purple for a little bit."

I felt a cool rim touch my chapped lips.

"Drink up!" John shouted. I fluttered my eyes open to see the top of a water bottle being tilted and felt the cold liquid run through my tongue and down my throat. I gulped a sufficient amount, still feeling the dryness but not as bad as it was before. Zayn and Niall were on their phones, yet the rest were all eyeing me suspiciously.

"What?" I rasped, cringing at how low and rough my voice sounded.

"You're a right prick, you know that?" Liam shoved my shoulder, earning a groan in discomfort from me. "Sorry... but seriously, passing out for hours like that. We slapped you a handful of times, Niall even volunteered to fart on your face. The poor sucker was disappointed when we told him to sit down. Freaked us out you did. Bloody idiot."

"Sorry," I drearily replied.

"We don't think the mark is going to react anymore. So we're going to lock you onto the wall, your arms and legs can take a break from the chains... your fingers are disgustingly pale."

I only nodded in reply as I watched the boys tend to their work. They loosened the chains from their restraints and pushed me backwards until my back was met with a hard wall. Three thick metallic straps were wound across my body, one on my upper chest, another on my midline, and the last was right on my navel. They secured them tightly and every time I gasped or forced a heavy breath I could feel the pressure of my skin hitting the cool metal.

"Stretch your legs open about a metre wide," John instructed to which I followed. Metal restraints were locked around my ankles, tight enough to lock my feet in, but not too tight to stop circulation. This was much more accommodating than being tied up on chains like a useless wild animal.

"We'll leave you at it... but if the tatt plays up again we'll have to use the heavy bolted chains."

I nodded at Louis. "Do what you must. I don't want to end up hurting any one of you."

-

Cass.

The third time I called Niall it had gone straight to voicemail. Whether he's purposely ignoring me and declining my calls, or his phone is shut off, I don't know and it's slightly agitating. Harry's cell was nonexistent. The number had failed numerous times and the teller repeated that the number is disconnected. My curiosity, paranoia, and anger only increased.