Prologue

!!! Completely updated version of the book is published on: https://tapas.io/series/Soul-of-the-Cerberus

Italy, May of 2017

"General." The serious, odd green-eyed man nodded towards the IT department. "We found it."

"Spectacular! Thank you, director Karani. You and your team did an outstanding job. Mr. Karani here is the head of the IT department and the one responsible for this success." Jerome, general of the Central Defensive Agency was positively beaming as he patted his employee on the shoulder. "Maximillian my friend, all those tiresome years weren't in vain." Jerome turned his head towards his oldest and most reliable friend. "We worked so hard for this." Jerome opened his hands wide to embrace the massive building before him. "It is everything we hoped for and more and we cannot ruin this now. I hope you realize that my friend." Jerome suggestively lifted his left brow.

"I do realize and you have a point. I don't mean to question your authority, Jerome. I deeply respect you not just as my friend but also as my superior. But is it truly necessary..." Maximillian probed to soften his friend.

"Necessary? You know damn well how necessary this is. You witnessed more than a dozen times how far those abominations are willing to go. They are demons, Max. They prey on innocent people, suck the life force right out of them. If not for us all those people would be dead by now." Jerome for the first time in millennia looked old. His smooth features were knitted with lines and wrinkles.

"You cannot mess this up for us. You promised, remember? Or should I believe you still hold those foolish memories from the past too close to your heart?"

Maximillian knew Jerome's intention wasn't to offend him, but he still felt his words piercing his chest like a cold, steel dagger. "You know damn well how close to my heart I hold them. They are everything I have left. The only reason I still go on. Without them, I am only an empty shell. Nothing better than those demons we are talking about‒empty, soulless." Maximillian spat. "So, don't tell me they are foolish. Don't talk about something you know nothing about. Someday you will understand the potent strength of the two souls binding to each other. And then my dear friend, look me dead in the eye and tell me how many ways your soul can die!" Maximillian almost shouted last words to Jerome.

Jerome sighted "Forgive me for such inconsiderate words. But you are wrong, we never were nor we will be like them. We are Seraphim you and I. We serve to our Creator, we are the light, Max. I only hoped you've let your past where it should have been, buried deep in the ground." Jerome's brows knitted together as his gray eyes narrowed on Maximillian.

"You..." Maximillian's hands itched to strangle his so-called friend. He closed his icy blue eyes and ran his hand through his smooth cropped red hair as he drew deep breaths to calm himself down. "The past is surely buried deep inside me, so this is none of your concern. I only thought we could wait to see if..." Max couldn't even finish the sentence before his friend was shouting in his face. The calm, collected leader of the Defense agency was long gone.

"If what, Max? It's an abomination! Its bloodline is tainted! Lose your hope, for Christ's sake! I cannot do this alone Maximilian. Mr. Karani and his team put way too much work to locate it!"

"Karani?" Maximillian let out a harsh laugh. "It was me who provided all the DNA samples! Or have you already forgotten? I gave you everything I had left! All of her!" His voice broke as he caught himself on the railing, facing enormous IT division below him. He gripped the slippery iron with all his might, feeling the cold drops of sweat dripping down his spine. "All of her..." He whispered as he watched the erratic movements of employees, not sparing a single look toward his friend.

"I understand, I really do. But it was necessary." Jerome explained.

"No, you don't. And I really hope you never will. I wouldn't wish such a fate upon anyone, not on my worst enemy and especially not on my friends. But that is a step too far Jerome. I've asked you for a favor. All those years I never asked for anything. I did all in my power to achieve all of this." He pointed towards Central. "Now it is time to repay me, say this will be a reward, a bonus if you like. You know damn well I could take you up on the position of the head general. And I could easily have won if only I wanted that." Max took a step closer to his general.

"Is that a threat Maximillian? We both know why you've turned the position down. You wanted to lead your own division, not a central command. You are not a leader Max, not in this sense at least, you are a commander and a warrior and you always will be. And you are damn good at what you do. Division 10 is the best there is and we need you. Without you, central would be worthless. So, don't you throw those empty threats at me, they do not intimidate me." Jerome didn't feel at least offended by his friend's words. But he realized what his friend and his division meant to the Central.

"Well...?" Maximillian smirked. "If we are so important and irreplaceable... Tell me, my friend, are we worth a little favor? Am I worth it?" Maximillian looked at his friend.

"You don't know what you are asking of me, Max. I cannot simply allow this." Jerome's beautiful face looked painted.

"If not you, then who will? This could be great for us Jerome. What if we could use it as a weapon? Not against us, but with us. Think about it."

"This is insanity brother. Hope has clouded your mind. How can we use a monster as our ally? Don't be absurd." Jerome looked at him like he completely lost his mind.

"But what if we could train it? It will be powerful, we both know it." Maximillian's eyes lit as he assessed his friend.

"And it will kill you and everyone you love in the process!" Jerome spat at him. "I thought I could trust you, but clearly I was wrong! Are you thinking of bringing a demon inside your division with defense wards worse than a Swiss cheese? Are you insane?"

"You've just said ours is the best division you have. My mages and IT team can handle the wards." Maximillian assured the man before him.

"Yes, your warriors are exceptional, but your IT division desperately needs some updates and new equipment. If you are going to protect such precious and dangerous cargo, you need someone who can deliver high levels of protection. Someone who can install the new systems." Jerome crossed his arms over his chest. "I can give you few of my men."

"Am I hearing you right Jerome? Did you just agree with my request?" Maximillian looked at his friend in disbelief.

"If I do this Max... You have to understand I am not just putting all of my trust in you I am also putting all the responsibility on your shoulders. If you let me down..." Jerome sighed and let his eyes wander over his lifetime work. He and Maximillian worked millennia on establishing such successful defense company with supernatural creatures to protect humans.

"I won't." Max assured him.

Jerome knew there was still a pain in his friend's eyes, caused by his horrible past. His head screamed this would be the biggest mistake he will ever make, and probably also his potential ending.

"We will do this on my terms. I will allow you to take it in. If we encounter any problems, and I mean if anything goes wrong‒terminate it. Am I making myself clear Maximillian?" General's stern look was reflecting seriousness and graveness of the situation ahead of them.

"Perfectly General. We won't be disappointed." Max assured him.

"Let's pray to our Creator, we won't. Let's do this." The younger man gripped commander's shoulder as he turned to give orders to his employees.