Chapter 10 - Locking horns

"Hey." I greeted the group sitting around the table with Sanna in the middle. I lifted a brow at their deadpan expressions. There was an unusual silence at the table, compared to the constant chatter and laughter. I looked from Sanna to Landon and at last‒to Elliot, who was the only one with a content expression on his face, his eyes smiling as usual.

"What did I miss?" I said, looking at them with confusion. "And what are you grinning about?" I nodded towards Elliot.

"My respected colleague came this morning. I am delighted." He said, smiling widely.

Rob, one of the Sanna's coworkers coughed wildly as food got stuck in his throat. "You've got to be kidding me!" He said, horrified, his eyes watering. "Oh right! He isn't your boss!" He spat.

"What is he talking about?" I looked at Sanna and Elliot.

"Actually it is your fault!" Rob stabbed a finger at me with dark expression on his face. "If you wouldn't come here in the first place, that Cerberus prick wouldn't have the motive to hunt us down!"

"I-" I started, astonished by his accusation.

"Oh shut up Robert!" Sanna glared at him "It isn't her fault and we all know it! Laurel would try to hunt us down eventually, with Korina here or not. At least now we are doing something about it!" She jumped in my defense. "We need these new systems and he is the one who programmed them. So shut up and try to endure it!"

He sighed in defeat "I am sorry Korina, I didn't mean to be rude."

I nodded at him, turning back towards Sanna "Oh so this means that the new guy from the Central is here?" I asked her.

"Yes. He is the best there is. Truly brilliant. If he can't protect this place, I don't know who can." She took a bite of her pastry, gulping it down.

"Well I am glad you idolize him, I would too if he wouldn't be so domineering, peering over our shoulders and criticizing our work!" Rob sneered.

"He takes his profession seriously." Landon shrugged, but also looked annoyed.

"Right. And how do you feel about someone who just swooped in and stole your position as a director of the IT department?" Rob laughed bitterly.

"He didn't steal anything, and I am still the head of IT, we just share the title." Landon said, trying to look nonchalant about it.

"Well, at least we can learn something from him?" Sanna looked at them, hopefully.

"And what would that be? His humorless attitude? Or how to be a stuck up ass?"

"Oh come on Rob!" Sanna said angrily "That is just mean." She glanced at Elliot, making sure he wasn't offended they were insulting his friend.

"Where is he anyway?" I asked looking around, not comprehending why he wouldn't be sitting with his team.

"At his office, working. I am amazed he allowed us to take a break and grab something to eat." Rob said, his expression twisting.

"You make him sound like a tyrant." I said, smiling.

"He is." Rob told me directly. "I am sorry, I know he is your best buddy an all but..." He looked at Elliot, shaking his head.

"He takes his job very seriously, that doesn't mean he is a bad person. He is my acquaintance, we worked closely together at Central some time ago. He is very skilled, so it was an extremely enlightening experience." Elliot smiled at me.

"What position did he had there?" I asked curiously.

"He was the head of IT department. Actually, he was the one who found you Korina." Sanna turned to me, pushing her half-eaten tray away.