Chapter 7 - Love hurts

I wore the same clothes Daniel gave me yesterday when Sanna showed up at my place. We were heading to the canteen, and I must admit that I felt really nervous about the fact that there will be over three hundred set of eyes gawking and judging me.

As we stepped out of the elevator in the commons, I already saw a crowd of people heading in one direction, no doubt the canteen.

When we've finally arrived at the end of the massive place, I saw a big open room with numerous rectangular dining tables that had at least eight chairs on each side. The room was almost already full, with few people standing with trays in line.

"All right! I rarely sit with warriors, mainly because we are discussing business." She grimaced. "But we do mix at least two times a week. There is your table." She pointed at a big table surrounded by large bodies. There were Daniel and Traxx, each had at least two girls sitting on their lap. Ria was slouched in the corner next to Traxx, mauling a big sandwich. There was also a pretty blond who was glaring at the giggling girls on Daniel's lap and a few others I haven't met or seen before.

"Or you can sit wherever you want." She said, noticing my hesitant expression "But I would recommend that you get to know them better." She nodded toward the group of warriors. "Left side of the room is reserved for warriors and IT team, right for scientists and medics. But like I've said we mix anyway so that is not relevant." She turned to point at different table "That is the table where I usually sit." She smiled at the tanned guy with neatly combed brown hair. "That is Landon, my boss and the head of IT sector. The others are my co-workers. And of course, you already know Elliot. He sits with us a lot." She beamed at him.

The company nodded, greeting me, but only Elliot smiled widely, giving me the feeling like I was completely welcome here. "How are you doing Korina?" He asked politely.

"I am adapting, slowly." I responded honestly.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Ria wildly waving at me, gesturing me to join their table. Daniel noticed me, quickly pushing the girls out of his lap.

What was that about?

"I'd better go meet them." I said sighing as I would much rather have stayed with Sanna and Elliot.

I stopped at warriors table, painfully aware of the sudden silence.

"Hello. My name is Korina Varga." I nodded at the faces I didn't yet have a chance to meet. "Can I join you?"

"Why are you even asking? Make room guys! Someone give this lady a chair! Or you can sit on my lap if you want." Traxx waggled his eyebrows and gesticulated at his knees, which were already full.

Daniel glared at him, making disgusted noises.

"I am going to sit right here." I said, grabbing a chair next to Ria's. Or hide under the table if that would be an option.

"Good choice." She murmured with low voice, smiling.

I tried not to peek at Daniel who was staring at me intently, so I turned to the blond girl.

"Hello, I believe we haven't met yet." I said to her offering my hand, trying to ignore her accusing eyes. What is wrong with this one? Do I have enemies already?

"Samantha." She said abruptly, not necessary rudely, but still, she didn't shake my hand.

Ria sighed, shaking her head "Sam here is a mage, although humans prefer the term witch. They have various magical powers. Usually, they have the basic control over the elements, but they tire quickly." She explained. "They aren't physically powerful like us, but they are very successful in medicine or other sciences. The older they get, the more magic they have in them."