Chapter 25 - Don't let me go

"She had a miserable life." Ria gulped, her head leaning on my shoulder.

Sanna wiped away her tears, clutching my free hand. I sat between the two, still dazed from the tranquilizer they had given me. We sat on my bed, with my head propped on the pillow. It was barely an hour since I left Yannik's room and the effect of the medication was already waning since my enhanced immune system was fighting it off. It must have been quite a dose though.

"Miserable?" I said weakly "I wouldn't call it like that." I squeezed their hands, peaking at them under my eyelashes "It's true that Daniel didn't love her, even though he was her Anuemat." I looked at Sanna "But she had a true family, friends she could trust and rely on. I know I barely knew her, but you guys, you were there for her."

Ria smiled weakly with a faraway look in her eyes "Sanna? Do you remember the time when Liam insulted you? Sam froze the floor. The bastard could barely walk."

"I do, we laughed so hard. If Daniel and Kellan wouldn't be there, he would take our heads off." She started to laugh but then stopped abruptly. "Kellan..."

"Kellan is gone." Ria interrupted her, looking away from us.

"So Liam wasn't the monster after all, Kellan made him into one. The suffering he must have endured would have made everyone mad." I huffed loudly, my mind still in denial from everything that happened.

"How didn't we figure it out? How is it possible that we didn't see it? We could prevent this, Sam and Lex could be alive!" Sanna tore at her hair, tears slipping to her cheeks.

"He told me that he lived for his revenge, that he was lost after his other half died. There is nothing you could do to talk him out of it. He was too far gone Sanna, and he was ready to slaughter anyone who stood in his way." I sighed as I remembered the crazed look in his eyes "He already betrayed Maximillian a long time ago when he decided he wanted my mother's death." I bailed my fists "But what he said about Sam, I cannot get out of my mind."

"What did he say?" Ria leaned forward, looking into my eyes.

"He genuinely thought he was doing her a favor by killing her, so her soul could live in peace -without Daniel."

"What right did he had to decide who should live and who should not?" Sanna spat, her eyes blazing with anger.

"He didn't. But after his other half was killed, he probably didn't have much common sense left, at least not for wrights or wrongs." I answered her, rubbing my palms on my pajama pants. "I am not defending him, what he did is inexcusable, and he deserved what he got in the end."

We sat in silence for a while, thinking about this sorrowful day. I tried to wrap my mind around it, but I think I never will.

I still waited for Elliot's call, afraid he would deliver nothing but bad news. I gathered all of my self-control to force myself just to sit here and not run back to Yannik, but with each hour that passed my heart broke a little more.

In the end, I stopped fighting, stopped pretending that I am brave and I let my tears fall freely.

Sanna and Ria didn't say a word, they just wrapped me in their arms, squeezing me tightly.

"I am sorry." Sanna whispered, "He insisted he wanted to stay behind as we hid, but we shouldn't have let him."

"Don't even think about it." I looked at her, my expression stern "It was not your fault, it was nobodies but Kellan's."

*

I listened to their steady breathing as they fell asleep. I stared at the darkness of my bedroom while gloomy thoughts plagued my mind. Many hours passed, but there was still no news from the med bay. I curled into a ball, clutching my stomach from the ever-present ache. Pressing my fist into my mouth I tried to drown my sobs as they became louder. The effects of sedatives vanished completely, leaving me empty and terrified.