Chapter 2 - The silver lining

I stretched my sleepy limbs as I tried to remember where I was. Strangely enough, I had almost forgotten my old bedroom. It was small but tastefully decorated. Paintings and ornaments hanging everywhere. There was an old, used curtain, partly eaten from the clothes moths. In the left corner of the room was the bed, which was standing there since I was in high school. Next to the bed was a wooden desk that was weakening under a heavy weight of different art supplies. There were oil paints, canvas, brushes and materials everywhere. Illustrations and sketches were lying all over the floor, occupying the only chair in the room making it impossible to sit. There was also a single cupboard, but there was no use in trying to open that.

My room was a hot mess.

Walls were painted with a light green color, which was barely seen under a large display of the artistry. Well yes, I was a bit messy, but that was excusable for an artist, or at least I hoped it was. I wasn't a lazy person, but there simply wasn't enough space in the room to put neatly every piece of equipment on. As far as I could find everything where I've put it, I was satisfied.

I threw on a t-shirt and the first pair of jeans I could find in a closet. I brushed my hair in a messy bun on the top of my head and called myself ready for a new day. It must have been still very early in the morning, considering I heard the muffled clanging of pots in the kitchen. There must have been a coffee brewing on the stove because the smell of it was wonderfully inviting. My parents were getting ready for work. Since they didn't open the store until seven o'clock, I guessed it was probably around six in the morning.

I pushed the bed covers and walked towards the magnificent smell.

"Already up?" Father stopped scrambling eggs and looked at me. "You were exhausted yesterday evening, weren't you? Why are you up so early?"

"Well father, I believe you know me too well. I simply cannot sleep when my mind is bursting with so many fresh ideas. I have to start to paint."

"Now?" He couldn't believe what I was saying.

"Now." I confirmed.

"Look at her, husband, like mother like daughter." Ivana smiled sweetly. "I appreciate your enthusiasm and hard work, but at least have something to eat." Mother pushed a cup of steaming hot coffee right under my nose.

"Like I could refuse that." I rolled my eyes with the first sip I took. "Delicious." I hummed.

I grabbed the fresh croissant from the plate and wolfed the pastry down. "As much I would appreciate a good chatter and catching up, I have to start. I hope to finish the sketches today, so I could show you the concept." I put the last bite in my mouth. Pushing the chair away I hurried to my room to collect all I needed.

"So eager, wife." Boris hugged the love of his life. "Exactly like you."

"There is a very promising season ahead of us Boris." She said to her husband as they were quietly finishing up the breakfast.

"I sure do hope so, Ivana." Boris looked into her eyes and patted her hand. He was worried not just about their business, but also about her. The weight she was carrying on her shoulders was too heavy, he was way too dependent on her. Counting on her that she will somehow keep their heads above the crushing tide.

I started carefully collecting all the stuff I needed from my room and backpack. I dreamily looked through the window, on the awakening street. Sun was already rising on the mostly cloudy sky, its beaming light gently reflecting on the calm surface of the sea. Seagulls were gathering on the nearby pear while they hungrily lurked on fish. They were already annoying the returning fishermen with their persistent pursuit of the ships and loud calls. But all of this was like a sweet serenade to my ears. This was my hometown after all. I lifted the dusty old curtains and peeked over the first locals emerging from their homes, either to go to work or to catch fresh goods on the markets. Little children were already up and about to do some mischief.