Chapter 22 - Chaos (Part 2)

I gripped my blades tightly, swinging at every slimy monster who dared to come too close. I couldn't lose focus and look away, even though I badly wanted to see if Maximillian and Daniel were all right. I didn't even have the courage to think where Yannik was because if I did, I would break down, running to find him. I pushed away the horror filling my lungs every time my thoughts wandered to him, only hoping I would see him once again after this would be over. A soft cry of pain tore out of my throat as all the horrible possibilities crossed my mind.

Filthy demon on my left become conscious of his opportunity, wildly slashing at my chest.

I fumbled backward, clutching my wounded skin. I watched the blood trickling down my fingers, feeling completely stunned as he surprised me.

All of a sudden the ground shook below my feet, the roaring sound echoing through the air. Braahi charged through the broken walls, tearing demons to pieces, stomping all over them. Its teeth pierced demons' bodies while it tore at them with its sharp claws.

That was just the distraction I needed, since demons horrifyingly watched the beast, their filthy mouths hanging wide open. I raced forward, elbowing the first soulless creature that stood in my way, my foot connecting with the stomach of the other one next to him. I buried my blade into another demon who tried to warn others, slicing his neck. Before I knew it, my friends encircled me, fighting at my side. My eyes filled with tears as I felt relief overflowing me, seeing that Daniel, Maximillian, and others made it.

"Are those Laurel's pets?" I spat, swinging at yet another creature, who cowardly shrunk away from me.

"There are too many of them!" Maximillian shouted over his shoulder "Laurel doesn't have an army of this size!"

I felt my blood freezing in my veins "Whose is it then?" I said with horror, already knowing the right answer.

"Your father's." He said grimly, his eyes trained on another incoming wave of intruders.

My head spun with fear when I realized he must have found out about me. Does that mean he's here? All of my friends were in danger because of me, it was all my fault.

"I will stop this madness at once!" I said desperately "It's me he wants!"

"He is not here Korina!" Daniel yelled somewhere from my right "He must have sent them to make sure if the rumors were true! Somebody tipped him off!"

I barely ducked as Braahi appeared out of nowhere, jumping above my head, knocking demons out of its way as it landed.

The fire burnt brightly all around us as Daniel smoldered their bodies, stench of burning flesh rolling my stomach from nausea.

I felt hope building up inside of me once more when we broke through, with Maximillian and Daniel in front of us, fighting like avenging angels. There were a lot of demons, but we knew that their numbers weren't infinite. We wildly slashed at them, forcefully defending everything we called our home, pushing the intruders back. And then I suddenly realized that we weren't outnumbered anymore.

"We have to spread out! Me and Daniel will finish this off!" Maximillian commanded "Search through the building, take every wounded person to Elliot! Hurry!"

He didn't have to tell me twice for my feet already carried me away, my instinct screaming at me to find Yannik.

My heart thundered in my chest as I entered the corridors, spotting how horribly destroyed everything was. I frantically grabbed at the walls, forcing my wobbly legs to move forward. I still heard the sounds of clashing metal in the distance, but otherwise, there was a disturbing silence hanging thickly in the air. It was hard to move fast since there were demon bodies lying everywhere. I kept my eyes trained on the graveyard below my feet, hoping I won't find our people among them.