Chapter 4 - Devil's advocate

We've arrived at our shop about five hours before the exhibition, since there was still much to be done. We've cleaned the place the day before, but we still needed to place paintings and add finishing touches to decoration. Even if the store wasn't big, it fit about fifteen people. My friends came early as promised, three hours before the exhibition started. Mark was a much-needed help since he took care of displaying the paintings. They were arranged in a circular style on the largest wall of the store, framed with dark thick frames. In the middle of them was presented a story of the paintings, carved on a wooden board made from spruce. The whole place was decorated in a "misty night" theme. There were black synthetic cloths hanging on the walls and on the ground, covered with seashells of various sizes. Dark chandelier, decorated with shining stars was a perfect addition to the motif. A few circular tables were set in the middle of the room, containing rich varieties of homemade biscuits and sweets.

I was stealing glances towards my friends as they diligently helped with decorations. I smiled as I saw how they were stealing glances at each other and how he always had to touch her if he was away from her longer than two minutes.

And I knew now that no matter how different they were it didn't matter at all. She was all he wasn't and the way around, they complemented each other. He behaved like she was his center of the universe. And I couldn't help myself as I felt a little stab of jealousy. Not that I needed a man to be with, it was this unconditional love they felt. And somewhere deep inside me, I wanted that too.

When Lena saw me staring she winked at me and gave me the thumbs up.

When first guests arrived, everything was organized and ready. I had to admit that I was dreadfully nervous. My hands were clammy, so I clasped them behind my back. I drew few long, deep breaths to calm myself down.

There were a lot of older paintings in the shop, not just my new collection so customers had to circle around to see all of them. Quite a few of them asked me about my paintings and about the fact what got me inspired as I stood nearby. With gentle music in the background, I was starting to relax a little.

My friends and parents were nearby, mainly entertaining the guests. The store was positively full and while some guests were genuinely interested in my art, some just came to check out what the fuss was about.

And suddenly he was there too, studying my art in awe. He was polished as ever, but this time he was wearing a gray blazer and blue jeans. His blond hair was brushed to the side in a messy way and his face was cleanly shaven. He wasn't alone this time. His companion was standing right beside him and I noticed that he was even higher, towering over the blonde guy. His futures were sharper, his expression serious. Somehow, even if they looked about the same age, he seemed much older. It must have been the way he was carrying himself. He was wearing a dark suit, his hands shoved in his pockets. With his blazing red hair cut short, he was a picture of a composition. Even his walk reflected undeniable raw power and influence. But what moved me the most, was the way he was staring at me. His brows drew together as he studied me so intently, trying to figure me out. He appeared shocked by something for a moment as his blue eyes grew wide and he spoke rapidly to his friend.

Who were these men? Probably rich, bored tourists looking for fun. That wouldn't surprise me one bit since we had those around a lot.

Redheaded man's look followed me everywhere I went, making me uncomfortable and uneasy.

"Friends of yours?" Mother asked me.

"No, I don't even know them." I told her as we both discretely checked them out.

"Well, it doesn't seem so. Looks like you have fans then." She winked at me.

"Hardly. Not with that horn on my forehead." I touched my sore spot on my head, which was still horrifically colored.