Chapter 26 - Last farewell

It took two long melancholic days to burn all the bodies of the damned. I couldn't be part of it, call me weak, but the human part of me was still overtaking my senses. I mostly moped on my sofa, cuddling with Sanna and Ria, never leaving their side, except for Yannik of course. Not even a herd of wild, stomping demons couldn't drag me away from him.

I still felt fear of losing another friend, fear of waking up and finding out that Yannik never really made it. Fear that my father will find us. And of course, there was also that black spot of doubt plaguing my soul, whispering that I was the cause of the mayhem - and this was only the beginning.

My new awakened powers did little to calm the turbulent feelings inside of me. Maximillian told me I inherited the earth element that my mother had possessed. But since I was Soul Cerberus, it was slightly more potent, mixed with darkness and light I held inside of my soul.

Power was a good thing, but also a curse since you couldn't save everyone you'd wished to, instead, you had to watch them die. Plagued by guilty thoughts of how you could have done more to avoid the devastating consequences.

Today was the day we would put our perished friends into the embrace of the earth, forgetting the violence of the last days, remembering them just as they always were.

I straightened my long black dress, turning to look at Yannik who stood behind me. I sighed with relief as his body reassuringly pressed against mine, his hands encircling my shoulders. Instinctively I buried my face in his neck, deeply inhaling his soothing scent.

"It's time." He whispered but didn't move when I clutched him tightly.

"I hate funerals." My voice was strained, almost unrecognizable to my own ears.

His fingers slipped under my chin, gently propping it up so I could look at him. "Your friends need you. I will be there every step of the way, right beside you." He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

"You're right." I nodded, feeling ashamed of my behavior. Samantha was their closest friend and their loss was much more painful than mine.

Yannik pressed his lips against my forehead, entwining his fingers with mine. I blindly followed him as he led me out of the apartment, focusing on my stiff limbs as I willed them to move.

My shoulders continuously bumped against him since I was walking so close to him, almost leaning on his firm frame. He squeezed my hand tightly, assuring me that he was there when I needed him.

I released my breath as we stepped outside, joining the crowd gathered for the ceremony. I listened absentmindedly as Yannik greeted everyone we passed, finally stopping next to Maximillian.

Our eyes met and I couldn't look away from his tired face as he suddenly seemed aged and worn. Next to him stood Daniel with his tousled blond hair and wrinkled black shirt. His face was lowered and his eyes focused on the ground, not even looking up once. I knew he felt guilty. He felt responsible for Sam's death, blaming himself as her Anuemat for being incapable of keeping her safe. We all did I suppose, every one of us had a reason to blame ourselves, although it was far too late now.

Sanna appeared next to me, gripping Elliot so tightly, her knuckles turned completely white. Her face was ghostly pale in contrast to her red-rimmed eyes. I hugged her swaying body close to mine, giving her all the comfort I could provide. She looked up at me, offering me a weak smile. "Where is Ria?" Her voice was barely audible, raspy from crying.

I nodded in the direction in front of us where Traxx and Ria stood. Traxx held her tightly as she softly cried in his arms, gently murmuring in her ear.