Chapter 9 - Rat in the house

"Guard your face." Daniel urged as he advanced towards me. "Now do the front kick."

I pulled my knee up and kicked out at him, missing him as he quickly stepped aside. "Move faster and lift your leg higher!" He ordered, demonstrating the move.

While we sparred and exercised the move, I surprised him. Spinning on my leg, I kicked him in the shoulder. "Good! You've learned something!" He nodded in approval. "Do the roundhouse kick again."

I repeated the kick a few more times, rising my leg as high as I could. He blocked my kicks with his hand every single time, sending me flying to the ground. My bones were rattling and my hip was noticeably swollen because of his powerful strikes. It was a God's gift I healed so fast but also a curse, considering this game was an endless torture. However, I knew that this was nothing compared to the pain I would have to endure on the real mission.

Daniel stepped closer, putting his hands on my shoulder. He leaned towards my bruised face, looking into my eyes "My intention isn't to hurt you Korina. I simply want you to reach your potential. I expect great things from you." His eyes softened and lowered to my mouth.

I felt unease as he stood so close to me, too close. As his head slowly lowered to my lips I reacted. I didn't even comprehend how fast I must have moved. Mimicking his stance, I put my hands on his shoulders. I reached for my power, or at least what was left of it as I knee stroked him in the groin.

He groaned loudly, dropping to his knees.

I suddenly realized what have I done. I pressed my hand to my mouth, looking shocked, seeing his red face.

"Oh God! I am so sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you. I swear!"

"Don't apologize, you did well. You surprised me and blocked my advances." He said, though not looking very thrilled about it. "I believe we had enough." He announced, still grimacing. He awkwardly walked off, not even glancing back at me, leaving me completely mortified.

*

After the studies Sanna accompanied me to the gym, happily chattering about a new software program she was developing. I tried to follow what she was talking about, but honestly, I didn't understand the half of it. Mark on the other hand, would be probably thrilled if he would be here. An overwhelming feeling of sadness enveloped me as I thought about my friend and how I won't be able to see him ever again. But he didn't even remember I existed anymore.

As we stepped out of the commons a deafening, beeping noise suddenly went off.

"What is going on?" I said, nervously looking around.

"It's the alarm, something must have happened. Let me check." She said typing away on her comm device. "Damn it!" She cursed loudly.

"Tell me! What is going on?" Concern washed over me as I saw her pale face.

"There's been a breach! We have to hide!" She said with pure horror in her eyes.

Sanna grabbed my hand pulling me into one of the smaller corridors. We ran into a tiny room which looked more like an unused storage.

"Sanna we can't hide! I have to help them!" I tried to open the doors, but she has already overridden the command on the them.

"There is nothing you can do Korina! You've barely started with your training, you would slow them down! Please!" She begged me with her eyes, willing me to calm down.

"But I can't just uselessly hide here like a coward and wait for it to pass!" I tried to reason with her.

"That's exactly what we are going to do, besides I can't fight, so you can protect me. Whoever has breached our systems must be looking for you, so you need to stay out of their way!" She clutched my hands, staring at me widely.