Chapter 15 - First mission

"Be careful out there." Sanna and Ria hugged me, worry in their eyes.

"I will be, you don't have to worry about me. We will be back in a day or so. Just, watch out all right? With Laurel here and everything." I said, squeezing their hands as they nodded.

Ria was biting her lip, hesitating "Korina, please take care of him." She nodded towards Traxx, who was putting bags in the back of the car. Cloaked, he looked almost too human, with his smooth creamy skin, chocolate brown eyes, and human teeth. "He can be reckless sometimes."

"I will." I promised "I hate leaving you here, especially when you will be the ones facing the real danger." I sighed, looking at my leather boots.

"We will be fine." Sanna petted my hand. "Somebody wants you." She smiled, indicating at Yannik, who was standing behind me.

I hugged them one last time, squeezing them tightly. With a sigh, I finally let them go and turned to him. "Hey." I said gently, smiling at him.

"I heard you are already leaving." He nodded towards the car.

"We are. Yannik, promise me something?" I said, my eyes wide.

"Yes?" He said, stepping closer.

"Keep them safe." I stared at him pleadingly.

"They won't get through Korina. You have my word." He assured me seriously.

"I know and I trust you." I said, meaning it completely.

"I have something for you." He said, taking off his necklace. "It's for luck and guidance, it helped me so far. But now you need it more than I do. It's your first mission after all." He smiled.

"No, Yannik!" I said astonished "You can give me that! It's your mother's!"

"I am only landing it to you. You can give it back when you return." He put the necklace around my neck, cool pendant soothing my overheated skin.

"Thank you. That means a lot to me." I told him honestly, moved by his kindness. I hesitated at first, worrying about his reaction. At last, I stepped on my toes, putting my arms tightly around his neck, burying my face in his firm skin. He didn't react instantly, but then he wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging me back.

It was such a good feeling and I wanted to stay right there in his arms forever. But I removed my hands reluctantly, stepping away. His expression was yet again puzzled, but this time I wasn't feeling guilty for touching him.

"We need to go!" Daniel showed up by my side, giving Yannik a dirty look.

"Bye." I whispered, forcing myself to turn away from him, I stepped to the car.

We finished loading our black Jeep Cherokee and hopped inside with Traxx behind a wheel. Kellan was in the passenger seat while I and Daniel were sitting in the back. Tires squealed as Traxx hit the gas and before I knew it, we were speeding out of Division 10. I leaned back on the comfortable leather seats, starring out of the window, seeing beautiful mountains in the back of the thick, never-ending forest.

"What is that?" Daniel interrupted my thoughts, staring at me with annoyance.

"What?" I said, already irritated by his aggravated tone.

"That!" He pointed to the necklace around my neck.

"Yannik gave me the necklace, it's a good luck charm." I smiled.

"Since when are you two best buddies?" He scowled, his handsome face twisting. "You two despised each other!"

"It was a misunderstanding, and we sorted it out." I shrugged, squeezing the pendant tight in the palm of my hand.