Chapter 11 - All guns blazing

I maneuvered with my tray to where my warrior friends sat, propping myself next to Daniel. That was a big mistake since Sam was shooting daggers at me. I tried to ignore her and eat my breakfast in peace, hoping she won't cast a curse on me or something.

"So, ready for today?" Kellan beamed next to me.

"Not really." I said, horrified I've forgotten our match.

"Prepare yourself, because your ass will be whipped!" He playfully hit my shoulder.

"Well since my ass is whipped pretty much every single day, I should be fine." I grimaced, taking a swing or orange juice.

"Well, I will not go easy on you." Kellan snorted.

"Oh, and he does?" I pointed to Daniel.

"Oh please, he is a frail little flower around you." He laughed at Daniel and ducked as his fist flew close to his nose. "Watch it Kellan!" He growled.

"What? It is the truth!" He pushed on, clearly provoking him.

"Sure, just fight it out. Then I could have a day off!" I smiled contently, trying to hide how Kellan's comment bothered me. I liked Daniel, but nothing more than a good friend.

When I cast a glance at Samantha, she looked hurt, her head ducked low, picking absently at her plate. I really wanted to assure her that nothing was going on or will be going on between Daniel and me.

Suddenly I was completely distracted, every thought I had vaporized out of my head. Behind Sam I saw Yannik Karani enter the canteen, with a smooth, feline graceful walk, his movements seemed almost predatory. He put his laptop on the table where Sanna was sitting and grabbed a sandwich.

I had no doubt in my mind they will discuss work even during the breakfast. I caught Sanna sending me a horrified look, and I laughed, mouthing "Enjoy."

"I hate you." She mouthed back, rolling her eyes, quickly glancing at Yannik, making sure he didn't notice it.

"Oh look His Highness Mr. Cranky honored us with his presence." Ria nodded towards Yannik's direction. Traxx almost sprayed Daniel as he laughed, right after he took a large sip of juice.

"That reminds me." I said looking at her "Why is his skin darker compared to other males in his race?"

"Their people have a caste system, a person born in the lowest castes have darker skin tones." She shrugged.

"Actually he should have been born elite, but his father had an affair with a woman from the lowest caste, impregnating her. He took a child in, thinking his colors will be brighter. Karani had a bad life after that, taking interest only in science, burying himself in books. After a while, it couldn't be overlooked how brilliant he was, and he was offered a job here, at Central. Nobody wanted to hire him back at his planet, thinking he was worthless. He worked at Central about twenty-five years until now." Daniel explained to me.

"That is just horrible..." I looked at Yannik, whose head was buried in work. "Twenty-five years? How old is he then?"

"Around fifty years, he came at Central at twenty-five. He is young, considering his success and his everlasting lifespan." Daniel smiled.

Right, he was immortal. And like every being he stopped aging at twenty-five.

"It is so fascinating to me, knowing there are other races in the Universe." I said still staring at Yannik.

"Of course, you've just barely found out about it, it's normal." Said Daniel, nodding at me.

"I can't believe that people are left in the dark, so ignorant about all of this." I said, indicating the surrounding people.

"Not all of them are. And it's necessary, they can barely defend themselves, besides they are not prepared for such knowledge." He clarified my question.

Slowly Yannik looked away from the screen, glancing around the room, assessing it.

And then our eyes met. I know I was starring, but it was hard to look away. Our eyes stayed connected for a few seconds, sending a rush down my spine. His beautiful bright green eyes suddenly narrowed, becoming angry, and then he abruptly turned back to the screen.

Why was he angry at me? Have I done something wrong? I shook my head in confusion. I sneaked a quick peek at him for a second time, horrified as I saw him watching. He looked livid now. My cheeks flushed as he caught me staring.

"Busted." Ria laughed out loud at me. "I can't say I envy you." Her eyes twinkled with humor.

"I haven't done anything wrong!" I whispered loudly "I was just curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat." Liam said slowly, a mean smile plastered on his face. I shuddered, happy I was sitting as far away from his as possible. Something about him didn't sit right with me.

"Who gave you permission to talk?" Kellan smiled sweetly, but gripping Liam's shoulder a bit rougher than was necessary.

I frowned, looking at Liam whose jaw tightened in resentment as he looked away.

As the whole canteen was done eating and ready to go to work, I stood and hurried to catch Sanna.

"Hey! If you have time I thought we could-" I didn't finish my sentence as somebody loudly cleared his throat behind me.

I turned and found myself staring down at Yannik, who apparently still hasn't left. How did I not notice him still sitting at the table?

"Oh." I said dumbfounded "I apologize I am-" What was I apologizing for?

"-Disturbing." He finished for me. His voice vibrated through me and all of my senses suddenly became painfully aware of him.

"I wanted to speak with my friend, I only need a minute." I said, hoping he will leave me be.

"We are in the middle of something. You can discuss the matter later." He said, all serious. "Now if you please." He was looking at me with an unmoving stare, his eyes slightly narrowed, sending chills through me.

"Excuse me, but during meal times one should be allowed to take a break." I straightened my spine, trying to appear more intimidating. A was a damn demon after all and now was the time to act like one.

"Not when demons are knocking at our door. My mission is to protect a Soul Cerberus, and I do not intend to fail." He said in his severe voice, leaning back in his chair.

I wondered why he didn't realize I was the one he was protecting. Wasn't he the one who found me? "Well then don't let me disturb you." I spun on my heel, my face grim. "Mr. Cranky." I murmured.

"What was that?" He said leaning forward, his eyes dangerously glaring at me. Crap, supernatural hearing! I wanted to slap myself for such a stupid mistake.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued....