Chapter 6 - Blank slate

I woke up energized, feeling truly alive for once. My hand flew to my face, feeling it up for injuries. But there weren't any. My face was covered with dried blood, but the pain was gone. It felt like everything I saw was only a hideous nightmare. And it probably was I thought as I sighed in relief.

But it was short lived as I assessed my surroundings. I was lying on the bed, or something more similar to a gurney. But this most definitely wasn't an ordinary hospital as it looked more like a cell. I must have been put in when they somehow tranquilized me. I was lying in a dark room, with metal doors. No windows, just two chairs sitting in the middle of the space.

I sobbed with despair, tears running down my cheeks. I felt sadness for my friends and family, pity for myself and mostly rage. Rage at what they have done. I flew out of my bed, not thinking of the consequences as I screamed my throat out. Grabbing a chair, I hurled it at the door, but as I expected the thick doors didn't even budge.

"No!" I screamed as loudly as I could, my voice echoing in the empty room. "Why are you doing this? Why me?" Howling, I bawled my eyes out. "Let me out!" I rattled the doors with all my might. I scratched and punched the walls but nothing helped.

"Please." I begged, sliding down the empty cold wall, falling to my knees. "Please just let me go. I promise I won't tell." I buried my face in my hands.

At last, the doors opened, displaying Maximillian's figure. This time, he was alone. "Korina-" He started, but I didn't let him finish. I jumped to my legs and charged towards him, hoping to get around him. "You murderous bastards! Let me go! I want to go home!" I roared.

"Korina you can't go home. I am sorry." He told me, his expression saddened.

"Please, you don't understand! You have the wrong person! I need to go home." I licked my dry lips "My family will be worried." As he would care about what they would feel with me gone.

"Your families' and friends' memories have been altered. They no longer know you exist."

"That's impossible." My voice broke, tears clouding my vision "Go to hell, you sadistic bastard!" I balled my fists and started punching him in the chest. He grasped my hands tightly, forcing me to stop fighting and look at him. "It was necessary. You were endangering them and they would be eventually murdered." He said with a stern voice, looking straight into my eyes. "But we've found you in time."

I let out a bitter laugh "You altered their memories? You expect me to believe this nonsense? You are a psychopath, you didn't help anyone!" I spat at his face in disgust, applauding myself for my newly gathered courage. He could kill me at this right moment if he wanted to, but he didn't even try to hurt me.

"Korina you are not who you think you are. And I will prove you that." He said releasing me.

Once again I charged towards a door, foolishly hoping he left them open. He watched me patiently as I beat them in despair, not moving them an inch.

"Korina-" He started "You are in the state of metamorphosis." He explained.

"A what?" I glared at him with disbelief. This man was truly and undeniably insane.

"That is a process in which-"

"I know what it means!" I cut him off. "You are maniacs! All of you!" I screamed at him.

He didn't even flinch at my outburst "How do you explain what you saw then? The strength? The Speed? The fire?" He probed me, looking at me intently.

The whole room spun as I remembered what I saw and I trembled violently. "That is impossible." I told him, dread washing over me. "This is some kind of mad illusion! You drugged me!"