Chapter 12 - Anything but you

"That was awesome!" Sanna watched me admiringly as I sat down next to her in Universal studies. Traxx went by, petting my shoulders "For a second I thought you were toast!" He laughed.

"Good job!" Ria ran behind him, putting her hand on me she kissed me on the cheek. "What a turnover!"

I just blankly stared at the people congratulating me, still not accepting that this was their way of assessing how good a warrior has become. I never was a violent person back at home, hell, I wouldn't even hurt a fly, so this affected me badly.

My body went automatically rigid as I saw Yannik enter the room. He went to the front, choosing a seat next to Landon. He opened his laptop‒the guy was probably even sleeping with the damn thing.

"You ok?" Sanna followed my grim look. "Come on Korina, leave him be, don't provoke him any further."

"How am I provoking him?" I stared at her in disbelief.

"You are drilling a hole in the back his head." She said, amused. "He doesn't like when people are staring at him."

"I am just curious! Besides, this is a free country." I shrugged, annoyed.

"He is very sensitive about that." Sanna clarified.

"What do you mean? Why would he be bothered by someone watching him?" I said with a perplexed expression on my face.

"Well, I only know what I've heard. Elliot mentioned that all his life he was accompanied by strange looks, people constantly stared at him. It was either because of his unworthy markings or disgust at how different he looked from the other races when he came on Earth. He put everything in his job, ignoring the others." She sadly shrugged.

"That is just ignorant and mean!" I spat.

"Then stop starring!" She hissed, scolding me.

"What about other Aerukhans? Are they also treated this badly?" I said, my face red with shame.

"Not really, but then again most of them are elite, not a servant caste. Their influence and riches can buy anything. Besides other races need them, so they must behave properly. We have one other Aerukhan here, but she went to visit her family. She is one of the elite and very kind, you will adore her." Sanna smiled. "A woman version of Elliot." She laughed.

"Oh!" She suddenly clapped enthusiastically "I almost forgot! I am hosting a little gathering on Friday evening. It will be a small circle of my co-workers, but I would like for you and Ria to be there."

"Are you sure?" I said, looking at Ria, who leaned back in her chair and grimaced. "We know absolutely nothing about computers. We wouldn't be much of a company."

"Oh come on! We won't be talking exclusively about one theme!"

Ria and I exchanged looks, knowing exactly what would happen.

"Fine! But only on one condition," Ria said "There will be tequila waiting for me, I have to be drunk for this." She exhaled, looking at the ceiling.

"Are you suggesting that we are boring?" Sanna said, annoyed.

"Precisely." Ria told her, beaming. Traxx's laugh boomed through the room as he saw Sanna's horror-struck face. "I truly pity you two." He nodded at me and Ria "One could pay me and I wouldn't be attending that thing!"

"My guests would be horrified if I would invite someone like you, you brute!" She threw back at him.

"Honey I am the best party thrower there is!" He said wide-eyed.