seven

so wattpad's being a bitch and this might get deleted (here's hoping it doesn't) i love writing this fic so much who would've thought

"The boy chased the big brown dog!"

"Yes!" Awsten cheers. He moves a hand to the little boy's back, pressing firmly. Nathan can't see the look on his face or any of his hand gestures so soft touches, back rubs and hand squeezes, have replaced them.

"I did it?" Nathan sounds incredulous. "I did it! I really did it!"

"Great job, buddy. You did so good." Awsten keeps rubbing his back. He can't keep the smile off his face. His cheeks hurt. The warmth is seeping through his stomach and beginning to infiltrate every part of his body. He's been tutoring for years, ever since he mastered braille, but the joy will never get old. The feeling of watching a kid get it, knowing because of him the world feels less daunting, like they're living in it rather than being witness to a reality they can't participate in.

He hears the beepbeepbeep, and reaches over to grab his phone, tapping the screen to silence the timer.

"Just in time." That's a new voice. Female. Lighter. Airy. Soft. He extends his cane and slides out of his chair, turning around to (hopefully) face Nathan's mother. "How'd he do today?"

"Great!" Awsten replies. "He got all his homework done. You got a fast learner on your hands; he's really startin' to pick things up."

"It's all because of you," she says. "You're a wonder, Awsten. Truly. You're so good with him. Nick and I, we didn't know what to do when we got his diagnosis. You've shown us we had nothing to worry about. I can't thank you enough."

Awsten smiles and holds out his free hand. "I remember what it was like. I was a lot older when I went blind so it was harder for me. He doesn't know anything else. He's lucky."

"He really is." He can hear the smile in her voice. "And he's even luckier that we found you. Are we okay for the same time next week?"

"Yeah, of course." Awsten nods. "Maybe go over the alphabet with him a few times? And some basic words? It's good for him to keep practicing. It helps his memory."

"Oh, definitely." There's rustling. She's muttering words to Nathan and he's beginning an excited ramble about his day. He listens as the papers crinkle into folders and the chairs slide back against the table. "Is Otto outside, hun? I can walk you to his car."

"No, that's okay," Awsten says. "He has to work late so I'm hangin' out here for another hour."

"Oh, alright. Say bye to Awsten sweetheart."

"Bye bye, Mr. Awsten!"

Awsten laughs, waving in the direction of Nathan's voice. "Bye Nathan! Keep practicing for next week! We'll have a contest to see who can get all the words first!"

"I'll win!"

The pitter-patter of little feet is the next thing he hears, as Nathan and his mother's voices travel further and further away. Awsten turns back to the table and grabs his bag off one of the chairs. He swings it over his shoulders and then sweeps his hand across the table to make sure nothing's been left behind.

He's barely left the children's section and entered fiction when he hears a soft 'fuck' and collides with another body. He feels himself falling. The ground is coming closer and closer. His center of balance is off and his cane is no longer in his hand and he doesn't know where he is he doesn't know what's happening everything is spinning.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry- Awsten?"

"Geoff?" Awsten ventures. If he's wrong this is making the list of most embarrassing moments ever, right up there with grabbing (and taking a sip of) someone else's coffee at Starbucks and walking into the wall of a store when someone was holding the door open for him.