17. Getaway

I'm not sure how I feel about this one but I had a weird spurt of inspiration and this is how it played out. I thought I'd publish it anyway and see what you guys think? Let me know by voting/commenting 😊

"There is no chance in hell I'm letting you drive." You insist as Camila runs to the driver's door of the car you had spotted just down the street.

"That's not our biggest problem right now." She retorts, opening the door. With a heavy sigh you run around to that side and pick her up, carrying her around to the passenger's side before practically leaping into the driving seat.

She didn't argue again, though, and hurriedly put her seatbelt on and closed her door, as did you.

A thundering sound emitted from the engine as you successfully hot wired the vehicle and you glanced in the rear-view mirror. That was a mistake; They were catching up, and now they'd spotted you.

Not bothering to wait until the convertible roof was put back up, you quickly hit the button that did that and peeled away from the parking spot. The roof clicked into place and the sounds of the outside muffled a little, letting you both take deep breaths.

You were drenched through, and so was the car itself. The idiot who had left their roof down obviously hadn't looked at the weather this morning.

Camila started laughing a little next to you, and you figured she must've been hysterical with adrenaline and nerves. Her laugh caused one to bubble from you too, though.

"We did it." She breathed, and you risked a glance at her before speeding through the red light up ahead.

"Not yet." You say, and you feel her confused eyes burn into the side of your face.

"What? But we've gotten away from them. We're good... right?" Her voice trembles a little. She's scared. Of course she is.

"How many convertible black Ferrari's are going to be speeding through the city, Camila? They'll have everyone looking for us."

"They can do that?"

"Yeah, haven't you ever gotten one of those texts that tells you to look out for certain cars?"

She's quiet because she knows you're right, and her eyes tear away from you and land back on the road.

"Shit!" You hiss suddenly. Quick reactions to the blue and red flashing lights ahead of you cause you to swiftly turn the car down the street to the right, making the back end skid out a little and your partner in crime scream. You correct the car though and soon are continuing down that remarkably thin street, in fact it's more of an alley really.

"Sorry." You add almost nonchalantly. She takes a few deep breaths and laughs quietly again.

"I see why you said I shouldn't drive now." She mutters, making you smile.

"I was a professional rally driver since I was a kid." You joke.

"Wait, really? You never told me before." She asks with wide eyes and you maneuver onto the street at the end of the alley.

"No. I was kidding."

"Oh." A weird atmosphere fills the car.

You turn another corner and find yourself on the frontage road of the highway leading out of the city, and it's dead empty because of the pouring rain. Perfect. You allow yourself to relax a little and look down at where a pain has started growing in your abdomen. Oh.

"Fuuuuccck!" You yell, glancing up at the street and seeing no cars before looking back down at the stained-red shirt. You slow down a little anyway and hold one hand tightly against the wound.

"Shit!" She yells, and when you look at her her eyes are glued to it too.

"I guess I'm not as good at dodging bullets as I thought." Your joking tone is the only thing that keeps you from losing the plot and freaking out.

"We have to pull over, find a hospital or something." She instructs and her eyes dart all around to try and spot one of the buildings.

"We can't." You shake your head furiously and glance back at the road. Still empty.

"What?"

"Unless you want to spend a lifetime in prison, then we can't."

You hiss; you must have been numbed by adrenaline before but now that is wearing off and the pain is all you can really focus on.

This time when you glance up, there is a four-car block in the road ahead of you, armed police officers stand with their guns trained on the car.

"How'd they get there so fast?" You question quietly before spinning the steering wheel and doing a 180. You hear their guns fire behind you, but none of the bullets hit their target. After a few minutes of speeding in the other direction, though, there's another block ahead of you.

"Y/n, what do we do?" When you look over at her, tears have begun to stream down her cheeks. You feel a sharp pang if regret for bringing her into this whole thing, and consider surrendering yourself and helping her get away but that'd never work. She probably wouldn't let you.

But that's the only shot she has at getting out of this.

"I'm going to stop the car. You're going to reverse as fast as you can and get to the entrance to the frontage road-" you begin, and she tries to interrupt you but you've already started slowing down, "and you're going to keep driving until they won't be able to find you." You finish, stopping the car entirely and looking over at her. The tears were coming faster now.

"No! Y/n, no!" She cries out, but your hand reaches for the door handle. Your own tears begin to fall too. It had to be done.

"Step out of the vehicle." A voice boomed with the help of a megaphone as officers began to make their way towards you.

"Camila, climb over to my seat as soon as I get out."

"No! No I won't don't it, y/n. Please, god, just no." She's begging now, practically sobbing. She knows what's coming.

Still, you open the door and slowly step outside, raising your hands so the officers know not to shoot at you.

"Now, Camila." You hiss.

She does climb into your seat, but she also climbs right out of the car, throwing herself against you, wrapping her arms around your neck, and pulling you in for a kiss. If it weren't for the fact that this could get you both killed, you might have  thought that kissing so passionately in the rain was romantic. You close your eyes and allowed yourself, for just a moment, to believe that it is. Then, you push against her chest until she falls back into the car, and close the door behind her

"I love you." You mouth through the window, and she's sobbing again, shouting something but you can't hear her.

The undeniable feeling of a gun between your shoulder blades is what makes her switch the car into reverse. Your eyes close again and you hear the engine as the car speeds backwards, though you know she was probably desperately battling with herself over what to do.

Your hands are pulled from the back of your head and roughly shoved into handcuffs. The sounds of everyone around you muffled by the only thing you can hear, the engine as it disappears. You only hoped she'd be smart enough to avoid the police now.

"A woman who was involved in illegal drug trafficking was arrested two weeks ago after a high-speed car chase. However, another woman was seen at the scene where she was arrested; and that woman is yet to be found. The officers at the scene could not identify the woman, though a description has been given of her." The news reader says in a rather monotone voice.

A drawing of a person who only vaguely looked like Camila, perhaps only if you knew that it was supposed to be of her, pops up on the screen. They have no idea who she was. She'd done it; She'd made her escape. As you sit here in the orange overall they'd given you, eating the crappy cafeteria food you'd been eating these past two weeks and likely would be for the rest of your life, you can't fight the proud smirk that appears on your lips.

Perhaps it was a little twisted to be proud of your girlfriend for evading the law... actually, it most definitely was, but you couldn't care less because that meant you'd done your job. You'd protected her.