36. Talent Show

You all seemed to like the teacher/student dynamic so I'm going to keep doing oneshots like that between chapters of the book, 'Yes, Ms. Cabello', which follows it too... shameless self promo 😂 Go go show it some love if you liked my other teacher/student oneshot!
There's also a lot of songs in this one 👌🏻

"But I don't have a talent! I can't sign up for a talent show without a talent." I groan at my counselor, but she just sends me a stern look.

"Then why do you spend all of your hours forcing us all to listen to your music while you play and sing in your room?" She quips. Did I forget to mention that she's also my mother?

I roll my eyes and lean back in the uncomfortable seat, "That's- I- I can't sing in front of people. That's why I do it in my room." I sigh and so does she, though I doubt they have the same meaning. Mine's nervous and embarrassed.

"Just, give it a shot, okay?" She slides the poster over to me and the bell rings. I nod and stand up, taking the paper and reading it over before throwing it into her trash can on the way out.

"Hey, Y/n-" she starts, but I'm already out of the room and putting my earphones in. It's not long until the music frowns out the other sounds of the school hallway and I can relax again, Colored Emotions by Night moves to be precise.

My steps fall into the beat of the song perfectly as I walk relatively quickly to the empty music room for lunch. It's more of a cupboard, really, because the music teachers only use it to store instruments but with the all access key that I may or may not have stolen from my mom, I put my things in there too. Mr. Griffin caught me in there once but just told me to make sure I don't break anything or else I'll be paying for it.

I looked around as the song changed to Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? and I reach the door, unlocking it before slipping inside.

I switch the light on and spin on my heels on a full circle, making a snapping motion with my fingers as I step further into the room and silently sing along to the song. See, this is why I only ever sing and dance in my room, because I'm terrible and I just knocked someone's cello over just by walking by.

"Oops." I mutter when the loud clatter stops. Slowly, I bend down to right the heavy instrument and lean it back against the chair it was before.

Being extra careful as I make my way to the back of the room, I rummage around until I find my guitar.

Good, nobody stole it.

Making sure it's tuned, I find a chair to sit on and take my backpack off. I hit shuffle on my Spotify playlist again to find a song to play, and the next one to play was 'Put Your Records On' by Corinne Bailey Rae.

"Oh, nice." I grin because I've actually been needing to practice this song, pause it, and unplug my headphones. I also lean over the guitar to take my water bottle from my backpack. I take a swig, clear my throat, and start to strum.

"Three little birds sat on my window, and they told me I don't need to worry.
Summer came like cinnamon, so sweet, little girls double Dutch on the concrete." I begin to sing, closing my eyes to shun the fact that I'm still in school.