32b. ...Where Nobody Knows Her Name

"I- I think I have to go back."

"Wow. Okay. Care to explain the sudden change of heart?"

"I- I just have to go back. I'm sorry, I really appreciate everything you've done but I just remembered something and I-" She rambles and I just close my eyes softly. I knew she'd want to go back at some point, I don't know why I am so upset that it has come. Maybe because it feels so out of the blue.

"Okay." I nod after having collected myself and she looks at me sadly.

"I'm sorry, but I just realised how long it's been and, and they're probably worried about me and I just, I want to go back and make sure they know I'm okay."

"What happened to 'I can't go back because it's dangerous.'?" I then bring up, "What happened to 'I ran away from home.'?"

"Y/n..." she just sighs and looks down to the long piece of grass she is fiddling with now.

"It's all bullshit, isn't it Camila?" Oh, shit. She only ever told me her name was Karla. She knows that I know who she is. I really messed up.

Her eyes go wide and she takes a few step backwards, dropping the grass and frowning deeply at me.

"You... how?" She stutters and it looks like fear is bubbling up inside of her, which I hate.

"I'm so sorry." It's my turn to apologise now as I hold my hands out as though surrendering.

"You're one to talk." She shakes her head and her tone is cold, "Calling me out on my bullshit when you've been feeding me the same. You know who I am, don't you? You've always known."

"Look, Karl-Camil-" I sigh and bring my hands up to cover my face, "I thought you'd only stay for a week, a few days even. I- you didn't want me to know who you were so... I didn't. I never meant any harm by it." I stutter, hoping I'm getting my point across.

"You've always known?" She repeats slowly and I peel my hands from my face and turn on my heels, heading back towards the house.

"Just go, Camila." I wave her off but stop when I reach the back door and feel a hand on my shoulder.

"You know but you didn't tell anyone where I was, why not?" She questions and I turn back around to see... hope? Is that hope in her eyes? I, for one, wish it is.

"I... I guess, I'm good at keeping secrets. Usually." I say quietly, not fully aware that I'm even speaking because all of my attention is stolen by the way her lips slightly part and her hair blows gently in the breeze, and by the little moles at her hairline and just below her lips. Details. It's all good and well looking at the big picture but someone didn't put effort into the details for you to ignore them, to not pay attention and to just move on. The details are what can make you fall in love with the whole thing, and oh god I think I've fallen.

"What else have you been keeping a secret from me?" She asks in a tone that seems just as quiet and distracted, and I notice that her hand hasn't left my shoulder.

"Maybe we should forget about the secrets and just focus on the truth." I suggest, my eyes now falling back onto hers.

"No." She shakes her head lightly and her other hand comes to my other shoulder, "I have something else that I'd like you to keep a secret... for now."

And then before I know it, she's leaning up and pressing her lips against the corner of mine. It's gentle but lingering and I take a deep breath as any sort of tension seems to just flow out of my body.

"I think you missed." I whisper when she pulls away, and she cracks a smile and moves her hands down my arms and to my hands.

"Take me on a date." She instructs but it's not demanding, and my jaw hits the floor.

"Somewhere with WiFi so I can message my family and let them know that I'm not missing." She then adds and I let out a little laugh.

"Where do they think you are, anyway?" I question and she shrugs.

"I told them I was going on vacation to 'find myself' somewhere remote so not to worry if I don't message them in a while," She explains, beginning to swing our hands a bit, "but it looks like I found someone else instead."

With a small grin, I reach down to pick a yellow wildflower and gently tuck it over her ear, her hair being held behind it too, and I ask, "Where do you want to go?"