42. Pharaoh

Y/n POV

"What were you thinking?" She questions, but it's not demanding or laced with disbelief and disappointment as that phrase so often is.

"I... when?" I reply simply and move my eyes from the hot sand beneath my bare feet to look up at her.

"When you stole that jar of beer from the market. When you ran from my guards. When you were escorted to my palace. What were you thinking?"

"Certainly not that I would meet and be held captive by and fall in love with the Pharaoh, that's for sure." I joke and she rolls her eyes and shoves my shoulder.

"You were not held captive! I offered you a place to stay-"

"And what was I supposed to do? Say 'No thank you, oh great Pharaoh.'?" I quip and she shakes her head softly.

"If you really didn't want to stay, then yes."

"What you say, goes, Camila. You can't say no to the leader of Egypt, especially when they offer their hospitality to a lowly thief such as I."

She sighs and chooses this point to sit down, but before she can plant herself on the dusty ground, I scoop her up and sit down first, resting her in my lap. She yelps as I do so but giggles once we're settled.

"Can't have you dirtying your robes, can we?" I shrug in way of explanation and her eyes darken a tad with lust. Uh-oh.

"Well, perhaps I should take them off, then?" She says seductively and I audibly gulp, to which she smirks.

"This part of the river is deep and calm enough to swim in." She states in her usual voice and looks out towards the water, shifting on me a little so her backside is pressed firmly against me and her back is arched a little, making her look extremely tempting.

"Do you want to swim with me?" She asks and I can't help but nod when she offers a minuscule wind of her hips. The gossamer robes, a simple of her wealth, that she so often wears mean that I can see practically everything beneath them, and when she stands and snakes her way down to the river, I'm frozen in my spot. Where did the cool, collected, confident Y/n go?

I shake my head slightly and make my way over towards her, watching silently as she removes her jewellery and places each bracelet, anklet ring and necklace carefully on the River Nile's shore. Then I help her unwrap her robes and fold them neatly to rest them beside the jewellery. Something about seeing her stark naked bar the headdress which still rests on her head, her brown locks spilling from it lusciously, is absolutely gorgeous.

"When you are gone, my love, I am sure that you will be the goddess of beauty because nobody can compare to you," I announce and she smiles shyly as she reaches up to remove the headdress too.

"And nobody but you will be by my side, even in the afterlife." She replies and takes a confident step towards me, her hands smoothing over the sides of my own robes. She leans up as though she is going to kiss me but only ghosts my lips as she teases, asking, "Are you going to undress or not, Y/n?"

"Maybe I won't." I husk, teasing her right back, and she chews her lip for a moment.

"Fair enough." She replies and takes steady steps towards the water.

Her body moves gorgeously as she lowers herself into the river until she's up to her waist, and then she twists it to look over her shoulder at me. Her thumb tugs at her bottom lip a little and she winks before smoothly diving under the water. I watch until she resurfaces on her back a few feet away, hair now smoothed back and glossy. She wipes her eyes before opening them and laughing at me.

"Get in!" She calls, and I'm eager to remove my clothes now.

I do so quickly and turn back only to see an unbroken river surface, Camila completely invisible.

"Camila?" I ask quietly, and then louder and more panicked. Where is she? She was there just a second ago!

"Camila!" I yell as I run into the water, leaping under once it's deep enough to swim and propelling myself underwater in search of her.

The slightly clouded water makes it hard to see anything, and the bubbles of my own breath escaping once I've held it too long don't help either. I force myself up to the surface and take a deep breath.

My eyes, momentarily glued shut by my own wet lashes, snap upon without hesitation when I hear her laugh coming from somewhere behind me.

I quickly spin around, my legs flailing around in an attempt to find purchase on anything beneath me, until I see her standing at a shallower point in the middle of the river, laughing her head off. I can't fight the smile that the sight causes, but I hide it by swimming over to her and tackling her, moving behind quickly to catch her but not removing my arm from her waist.

"That's not funny," I whine and she shakes her head while the laugh quietens.

"It actually is." She argues and I shake my head.

"No, it's not. I thought I'd be charged with murdering the Pharaoh." She sighs in my arms and rests her head gently on my shoulder, the water lapping at the shells of her ears and tops of our breasts.

"I'm not the Pharaoh right now." She whispers and I feign a gasp, letting go of her but she doesn't budge, just frowns softly and looks up at me.

"Then I have some bad news." I shake my head, "I don't cheat."

A mischievous smile crosses my lips as I curl my arms back around her, and she mimics it and closes her eyes. A sigh leaves her body and she relaxes, leaning almost fully against me and I feel her backside press against my hips under water.

"I'm glad." She says and it leaves her lips as a whisper. She's content, I'm content, and the river seems to be pretty content to flow around us too. She always has been calm and collected, the Nile I mean. I should've trusted her not to lose my lover. I give her a silent apology and lean down to press a feather soft kiss on Camila's throat.

"I thought we were supposed to be swimming." I mumble and she just sighs again, shifting her head on my shoulder.

"Is this not good enough?" She quirks a brow and opens one eye to peer up at me.

My response is obvious and leaves my lips before I have to think about it.

"Dear, you are always enough."