23. A Thousand Miles

A short, hopefully funnier one that I didn't really edit but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Everything was going great. You were both laughing and joking together. You hadn't needed to stop for the bathroom or to stock up on snacks yet, even though you'd been consistently eating cookie after cookie. And, most importantly perhaps, you weren't bored yet. The road trip was going amazingly.

Well, that's until a certain song comes on the radio. You didn't even know they still played it, didn't it come out like almost ten years ago?

Still, it seeped from the radio now, taunting you with every passing word as it tried to convince you to sing along.

Neither of you did. The conversation fell into a tense silence, which didn't help because now the song was just easier to hear.

Yes, you were on a road-trip together but you barely knew each other really. You had clicked and decided this would be a great idea to get to know one another better, but you didn't want to scare her off with just how lame and cheesy you really were.

So you sang along in your head and hoped she wouldn't notice the way your finger was gently tapping to the beat beside your thigh.

Then, a miracle happened.

"I can't take this anymore." Camila mutters, reaching over and seemingly going to turn the radio off. You look out of the window to hide your disappointment, but then hear the song become louder in time for the second verse.

Your wise eyes snap back onto her, and she glances at you with a cheesy, infectious smile. As her head whips back around to face the road, her hair flicks a little, only adding to the effect of the song.

"It's always times like these when I think of you and I wonder if you ever think of me." She begins to sing, quietly at first.

Your own smile grows as you watch her, joining in with the next part, "'Cause everything's so wrong and I don't belong,
Living in your precious memories." You're a little louder than she and been, and now you both sit with face-eating grins. Your own eyes don't drift from Camila as she keeps hers stuck to the empty road before you.

You play the air drums for the little melody right before Camila takes the first line of the pre-chorus, pointing over her shoulder at you with a giggle, "Cause I need you,"

You do the same before you take the next, "And I'll miss you."

You're both singing louder than necessary and in duet for the chorus, and once you're done you erupt into laughter; pure, childish laughter.

"You're a great singer." You point out, and a light dusting of pink settles on her cheeks.

"I wish I could say the same for you." She pokes you in the side, still giggling.

"Hey!" You fake shock, because you knew that not only was she only joking but she was also right. You can't sing to save your life.

She laughs again, as do you, and the song comes to and end.

At least you know you can both sing cheesy-ass songs together now.