Part 3: Aftermath

The Jackdaw managed to find refuge on top of a lone sandbar, anchoring on it and laying off it's sails for the time being.

The ship was heavily damaged and hurt from the previous battle. Splinters layed the deck like candy for children. Dried blood and wet blood alike paint the decks and walls from the wounds of the crew. The foremast to the mizzenmast was filled with scratches and scrapes of the whizzing cannonballs of before. It's white glossy sails were now filled with holes and cuts, making it appear like a slice of wilted cheese.

On top of that, several cannonballs managed to meet ends with the waterline of the Jackdaw, causing seams of water to fill the deck below. Many of the crew were working on it currently.

Edward walked the gundeck of the Jackdaw, observing and surveying the damage of his ship.

Down below, the screams of anguish and pain were heard, probably from the sick bay, as lines of wounded were being tended to. Most of them though are being tended to with painful methods beyond recognition.

Amputation was rather straightforward, and with no painkillers of any sort, was rather horrific. But for most men, it was better than dying of infection.

Captain Kenway walks up to a wounded crew member, whom he had just had a simple blunt wound on his head.

"Are you okay, lad?" Edward asks him, and the crewmember looks up.

"Yes sir," He manages to say, "I'm fine... only a wound, that's all."

"That's good," Edward only manages to reply, "Keep an eye on your kin, will you?"

To that, the man nods in approval, grinning at the Captain as he walked off.

Edward manages to find Ade, whom he was aft, accessing the rudder damage. The Prince had got them hard there.

"Ade.."

"Edward, I have the damage report and number of casualties.." Ade explains, sighing heavily.

"And? What is it?"

"Eight dead, twenty wounded.." Adewale tells, revealing a rather medium loss of life.

"Damn, what a bloody shame. And the damage?" Edward asks.

"Our rudder has been completely knackered, blown off from the cannonball. As for other damages, the fore and mizzenmast have been hit severely. Actually, the mizzen is in fact slightly limping to port." Ade explains.

Edward turns upwards to see the mizzen, and sure thought, the bloody thing was tilting in an awkward angle, almost pointing to the slim crescent moon.

"What else?"

Adewale clears his throat, "Well, the waterline has been breached, but don't worry, the men have kept it contained for now.."

Edward grins slightly, "That's a relief."

Adewale could only nod, "The gundeck though have been punctured a ton. Holes practically fill the starboard side of the ship, like moles. Also, much of our cannons are in disarray and in desperate need of repair, one even blew up."

Edward coughs, "Well, we'll work on that later."

"Captain, I have a question," Adewale asks.

"What is it?" Edward arches a brow.

"That ship the Prince, or what the crew called at, the Phantom, what are we supposed to do about it?" Ade asks, with concern written on his tone.