Sunday Afternoon

The Graves family returned home from the church service and were sat around the dining room table for lunch. Vera spent the previous evening cooking a roast in the oven and she was hoping her meal would ease the tension between her husband and her son. The two of them haven't said a word to each other since the incident during the service and the silent ride home was almost unbearable.

She finished fixing their plates and looked over at Victor, who was still glaring at his son from across the table. "Would you like to pray over the food before we eat?" She asked timidly.

Victor grunted and bowed his head. Everyone else followed suit. "Dear Heavenly Father, I ask that you bless this food to the nourishment of our bodies." He paused for a moment and glanced up at Vincent. "And please forgive my son for being a dumb ass in church.  Amen."

"Amen!" Violet shouted happily. She looked at her brother with a smug grin and stuck her tongue out at him.

Vincent ignored her and sliced the tender roast with his fork, resting his head on his hand with a sad look on his face.

"Pick your head up, boy." Victor snarled, "You can sulk in your room after lunch."

Vincent looked up at his mother, who gave him a small nod. He picked his head up and took a bite of the roast, sitting there in silence until he was excused from the table. The sound of his bedroom door closing echoed through the house and Victor shook his head.

"I just don't understand that kid." He said, "I thought I taught him better than to act like a emotional little sissy."

Vera set her fork down and folded her hands in front of her. "Don't you think you're being a little hard on him? He said he was sorry."

"He's got to learn to respect me, Vera, because what he does outside of this house is a reflection of my parenting skills. I don't need people thinking that I don't know how to raise my own son."

"I...I guess you're right."

"Of course I'm right. Now stop running your jaw and fix me a second helping of that bland roast."

Vera sighed and picked up a knife, ready to slice into the roast until there was a knock at the door. Before she could move Victor leapt from the table and answered it. He returned to the kitchen with his police partner trailing in behind him.

"Oh...hello, Jordan." Vera said, forcing a smile on to her face. "I didn't know you would be joining us for lunch. Help yourself to a plate."

Jordan raised her hand in the air, declining the offer. "Thank you, Mrs. Graves, but I was just coming to pick up Victor. We have some paper work to fill out down at the station."

Vera's face fell with disappointment and she glanced over at her husband. She was certain that he had the day off and had planned on seeing if he wanted to watch a movie with her.

Her eyes fell back on Jordan and her teeth clenched together. She found herself becoming more jealous of the young officer by the day.

Lately her husband seemed to enjoy spending more time with his partner than his own family, and it was starting to piss her off.

"I'm sorry, honey." Victor said in a sickeningly sweet tone. "I should have told you that I had to go in for a couple of hours. I promise I'll be back home as soon as I can."

"It's okay.  I'll just do some cleaning while you're away."  Vera answered before walking out of the kitchen.  She went into the bedroom and sat on her bed with a scowl on her face. 

Victor shrugged his shoulders and Jordan stared after her before looking at Violet.  "How are you doing today, sweetheart?"

"I'm doing very well, Miss Nichols." Violet said with a smile. "Thank you so much for asking."

"How precious.  She is such a doll, Victor."

"She certainly is." Victor agreed, kissing his daughter on the cheek. "Daddy will be back in a few hours, okay. Help your mother tend to the dishes and keep an eye on your brother."

"Yes, Daddy."

Victor smiled again before following his partner out to her car. He climbed into the passenger seat and buckled his seatbelt before leaning over and pressing his lips against hers.

Jordan pulled away and glanced out of the window to make sure no one had seen. "Don't kiss me here! What if your wife sees us?"

"She won't."

He tried to lean into her for another kiss, but she pressed her hands on his chest to keep him away. "Even so, it's really tacky to make out with me in your own driveway."

Victor chuckled and pressed his lips to her ear, running his tongue along her lobe and snaking his hand to her crotch. "Then stop talking and drive to the motel, you filthy little girl. Daddy has been waiting two weeks for another taste."

Jordan smiled and pulled out of the driveway, completely unaware that Vincent had been watching them from his bedroom window the entire time.