Homecoming

August 1, 1999

Vincent:

Father Stuart examined my file over his thin, silver glasses, scratching his head ever so often as he tried to make his decision. Today was the day that I was to be released from the infirmary, and he had to make the choice of whom I would be going home to.

Victor and Grandma were sitting on either side of me, both of them watching the priest intently. The room was completely silent, save for the occasional throat clearing and heavy exhales.

The decision was originally in the hands of Sister Veronica, until she unexpectedly disappeared from the infirmary. Father Stuart told all of the children that she had taken a job in another state, but I had a bad feeling there was something more to the story.

Something terrible.

My eyes shifted over to Victor, who was impatiently looking down at the watch on his wrist. Deep down, I knew that he was behind her disappearance, and I intended to confront him when all of this was over.

Father Stuart laid my file down and folded his hands in front of him. "I apologize for the inconvenience, but I'm afraid I don't have much information to go on since Sister Veronica's departure. However, after much deliberation, I feel it would be best for Vincent to return home with you, Mr. Graves."

My stomach clenched and I threw my hands over my face to hide the horror that flowed through me. This could not be happening! "Father, please-" I started to say, until Grandma rose from her chair.

"What!?" She exclaimed, her face flushing as red as the gloss that painted her lips. "You must be out of your ever loving mind!"

Father Stuart ignored her protests and looked over at Victor, who was now grinning. "Forgive me if I have offended anyone.  I just feel that Vincent will function better in the comfort of his own home."

"You're absolutely right."  Victor said, nodding his head with assurance.  "There have been some bumps in the road the last few months, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to make sure the boy is happy."

"I'm pleased to hear you say that."  Father Stuart said, nodding back at him.  "But I must mention that there is a stipulation that comes with my decision."

Victor's eyebrows raised.  "Oh?"

"Vincent has indeed made great progress since he has been here with us." Father Stuart said, "And to make sure there is no regression in his progress, we will need to check on him from time to time."

The priest pressed a small black button on his desk, and the door to his office opened. An unfamiliar nun stepped inside with a clipboard in her hand, her eyes landing on me with curiosity.

Father Stuart stood from his chair and placed his hand on her shoulder.  "I would like you all to meet Sister Justine Barnes. She will be making visits to your home over the course of the next few weeks."

Grandma rolled her eyes, while Victor plastered on one of his fake smiles and shook Sister Justine's hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. You're certainly welcome to our home anytime."

"Thank you." Sister Justine replied, her eyes still fixed on me.

Father Stuart sat back down at his desk and handed Victor a piece of paper. "This is Vincent's release form. Just sign this and you'll be ready to go home."

"Wonderful." Victor said, jotting his signature on the bottom line. He stood from his seat and clamped his massive hand on my shoulder. "Let's go, boy. I know your sister is very eager to see you."

——

My chest was moving up and down rapidly as I watched Victor toss my suitcase into the trunk. 

Father Stuart and Sister Justine were standing on the sidewalk next to him, observing us one last time before we left the infirmary.  I wanted to cry out to them, beg them not to let him take me home, but I knew it would be pointless.  Father Stuart was so hell bent on getting me out of here that he would have sent me home with Satan if given the chance. 

Grandma was watching us from her car, her hands clasped tightly around her steering wheel.  She was still angry about the decision, and even threatened to get a lawyer to fight for full custody.  Victor brushed her threats off and told her that she needed to calm down, which made her even more angry. 

Victor waved goodbye to the priest before climbing into the car, his head shaking as he looked at Grandma through the rear view mirror, the fake smile still on his face as he said, "You better mind your own business, you old bitch."

"Don't call her that."  I blurted out, my throat closing as soon as the words escaped me. 

"Shut up, boy."  Victor grumbled, pulling his car out of the parking lot and on to the main highway.

The anger that boiled inside of me made me want to burst like an overstuffed piñata, but I decided to bite my tongue until we got back home.

Victor switched on the radio to a classic rock station and lit himself a cigar. The rest of the ride home was plagued with uncomfortable silence, and when we pulled into the driveway, he climbed out of the car and walked to the house without saying a word.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and followed after him. I stepped on to the porch and sucked in a deep breath before slowly pushing the front door open.

The familiar scent of Old Spice and cigar smoke filled my nostrils as I stepped inside. The living room was void of any light and there was no one in sight. My heart immediately froze in my chest.

What was Victor up to?

I slowly took another step forward, holding my breath as I made my way to my bedroom. I reached for the light switch with trembling fingers, gasping when I felt a cold hand on top of it.

"Violet, is that you!?" I growled, running to my bed side table to turn on the lamp. "You're not funny!"

The dim light from the lamp filled my bedroom and my eyes widened in horror when I got a good look at the hand that covered my light switch. There was no one attached to it. It was a severed hand!!

The flesh was a dull gray color and the fingers were nailed to the wall around the light switch, dry blood oozed all the way down to the floor. There was a large turquoise ring on the index finger, the same one that was worn every day by Sister Veronica.

"No!" I screamed. "Please, God! No!!"

I clamped my hand over my mouth to prevent the vomit that flooded my throat from escaping, but it spewed out between my fingers. My knees gave out from underneath me and I collapsed in my pool of vomit. Tears filled my eyes and all I could do was lie there, sobbing like a baby, as Victor came into the room with a huge smile on his face.

Violet trailed in behind him, her smile equally as wide. "Welcome home, baby brother."