Retribution (Part One)

Vincent:

Three days have passed since the murders of Molly and Katherine, and I haven't come out of my room once since that cursed night. All I could do was lie on my bed and stare up at the ceiling, trying to get their horrified faces out of my mind. I had to watch as Violet cleaned their blood from the floors and the walls and the sheets, while Dad pulled out their teeth and chopped off their fingers and shaved their heads so that they could not be identified when their bodies were found by the police.

A huge part of me died with them and I was certain that I would never recover. What was there to live for anyway? Everyone I cared about was dead, and now I was stuck with the two people that have made my life a living hell since the day I was born.

I stood from my bed and looked out of the window at the night sky.  There was no reason for me to keep living in the terrible world.  No reason at all.  I had to do what was best for myself and end it all, just like my mother had done all those years ago.

I pushed open my bedroom door and tiptoed into the living room. My heart thudded against my chest as my eyes fell on the small gun case that rested on the bookshelf. Dad thought that he was the only one who knew the combination, but I snuck a peek one day when he was pulling out his pistol.  The safe opened when I put in the combination, and I took out the gun with a weak grin on my face.

This pistol, the very same pistol that mother used to take her own life, was about to put me out of my misery once and for all. I wrapped my shaky index finger around the trigger and placed it against my temple, my eyes filling with tears as I prepared to shoot.

Then, another thought occurred to me.

Why should Dad get away with everything he has done?  I was going to kill myself anyway, so there was no reason I shouldn't rid the world of that evil monster. He didn't deserve to live.

I lowered the pistol and stood there for a moment, pondering how I should kill him. Shooting him in his sleep was too good for him. He needed to suffer like he had made so many others suffer.

I went into the dining room and set out a chair for him to sit in, then I grabbed the roll of duct tape from under the kitchen sink.  There was one thing I needed to tend to before attempting to get to Dad.

I walked back down the hall and slowly pushed open the door to Violet's bedroom.  There was a smile on her face as she slept soundly in her bed.  I clenched my teeth and stood over her for a moment, pointing the pistol at her head.  I wanted to pull the trigger right then and there, but the sound would wake Dad up and my plan would be ruined.  I inhaled a shaky breath before pressing my hand over her mouth to keep her quiet.

Her eyes shot open and she screamed into my palm when she saw the gun in my hand.  I placed the cold pistol under her chin and whispered a warning. "If you make another sound I'll blow your brains out.  Nod your head if you understand me."

She nodded her head and I set the gun down on her bedside table. Her eyes filled with terror as I picked up the roll of duct tape and wrapped several layers around her mouth.  I yanked her off of the bed and dragged her down the hallway and into Dad's room.

He was sleeping as soundly as she had been, which pissed me off even more. How could he sleep after everything he has done? I would never be able to sleep again if I hurt a defenseless, young woman.

I switched on the light and he immediately darted up from his bed. His eyebrows raised when he saw me holding Violet there, and for the first time in my life I could see the fear in his eyes. I pressed his own pistol against her head and he held his hands in the air as a sign of surrender. "What in the name of God are you doing? How did you get my gun?"