The Funeral

July 31, 1998

Vincent:

'She looks so peaceful.'

'She's in a much better place, Vincent.'

'She'll be your guardian angel from now on.'

Those were just a few of the statements that I heard throughout the day from people who came to the funeral to gawk and whisper about Mommy taking her life. Some said she was selfish for leaving her family behind, while others said she must have been deeply troubled to shoot herself in the head. They flapped their jaws ignorantly, not knowing the reason she had killed herself was right in front of them.

Victor, which I am calling him now because I refuse to acknowledge him as my Daddy, was dressed in his nicest suit, and he was putting on a good show for all the people. He would start telling a story about how happy he and Mommy were, then he'd pull a handkerchief from his pocket and pretend to cry.

Everyone was quick to pat him on the back and tell him it was going to be okay.  The whole thing made me want to run to the restroom and barf my breakfast tacos up.

I wanted to tell everyone that he and I were the reason Mommy was dead, but he would kill me if I ruined his perfect reputation.

There was no point in making things worse than they already were.  Besides, after this I'd be going back to Grandma's house and I would not have to see him again. 

"Vincent..." a sweet voice said from behind me.

I shook the bitter thoughts from my head and
turned around to see Katherine and her mom standing there.  They each had a beautiful bouquet of flowers in their hands. 

"Hello...." I sighed, trying to hold back my tears.  "Thank you so much for....coming."

Molly set the flowers down and took me into her arms. "Oh, Vincent. I'm so sorry."

"Thank you." I repeated, sniffling before the snot dripping from my nose reached her dress. 

She pulled away from me and tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear as she looked over at Victor.  She picked up the flowers and said, "I'm going to say hello to your father."

She walked away, leaving me and Katherine alone.  Katherine shifted on her leg and held the flowers out.  "I'm really sorry about your mom, Vincent.  I know it's not much, but I hope these flowers help you feel better."

My eyebrows raised at her sad tone. Her blue eyes, which were usually filled with happiness, looked dull and tired.  She looked like she had not slept in days.

I took the flowers from her hands and set them down. "Are you okay, Katherine?"

"Yes, I'm alright." She said, rubbing her arm and looking away from me.

"You sure? You seem kinda-"

Before I could finish I felt a strong hand on my shoulder. Victor stepped next to me with Molly trailing behind him.   He glanced at me for a moment, then looked over at Katherine.

"Hello there." He said placing his other hand on her shoulder. "Thank you very much for coming. It means a lot to me....and Vincent."

Katherine laced her hands together and looked down at the floor.  "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, sweetie."  Victor said, removing his hand from her shoulder.  "So, have you had a chance to meet my daughter yet?"