A New Start

Vincent:

Six months have passed since the cursed night that the remainder of my family was killed, and it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to deal with the loneliness of being left behind in life. There were times that I would sit in my bedroom and stick Dad's pistol in my mouth with the intention of ending it all, but then I remembered that I had the power to change my life for the better.

On my eighteenth birthday, I met with Grandma's lawyer and was given power over the bank account that held the twelve million dollars that she had left to me. The first thing I bought was a brand new car, a rather fancy black BMW. I knew it was a bit on the pretentious side, but I figured I deserved it.

The second thing I bought was a small house out in the middle of nowhere, in a town five hours away from the one I grew up in. It was close to the college that I was enrolled in and I was no longer stuck in my old house, which helped tremendously with my suicidal thoughts.

I was a new man with a new hope.

Still, I decided to get a little help from a psychologist before I started my first year of college. I told him about all of the death that I've had to endure, with the exception of Molly and Katherine. Their bodies were never found and I didn't want incriminate myself by telling him about that terrible night.

The deaths of my family members were enough to make him squirm in his seat. He wrote a long note on his clipboard, then recommended that I lived my life to the fullest so I could move on from all of the death. "You must seize every day, Mr. Graves." He said, "Don't let fear and doubt keep your from taking life by the balls, if you'll pardon the expression."

Those words echoed in my mind every single day, especially the day that I stepped into the beautiful college that I would be attending. 

The hallways were filled with adults, young and old alike, none of which I knew.  This truly was a fresh start for me.

I stepped into the office to pick up an extra copy of my schedule.  The secretary that sat behind the desk was wearing way too much make up and she smelled like ten different scents of perfume.  She was taking her sweet time printing my schedule, which would have pissed me off if I hadn't reminded myself that I needed to keep my temper under control. 

When she finally handed it to me, I walked down the busy hallway until I found my classroom.  My heart was racing as I sat down at one of the desks.  I didn't know why I was so damn nervous.  There were a few girls staring at me with smiles on their faces, and I ignored them.  I just stared ahead at the chalkboard and convinced myself to stay as calm as possible.

There was no reason to let them get to me. This was a brand new year and I didn't intend to put all of my focus on women. That had done nothing for me in the past, and it certainly wouldn't help my future.

"Hello." 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a soft voice behind me.  I looked up and froze when I saw the most beautiful girl standing over me.  "Do you mind if I sit here?"  She asked, already setting her book on the desk. 

"No, n-not at all."

"Thanks." She smiled and sat next to me.  "I'm Emily, by the way.  Emily Hayden."

THE END

****

AN:  I hope you all enjoyed the story of Vincent's life as he grew up! Writing this was one of the most fun and most challenging things I have ever done. You guys kept me going with all of your support. I know I say this a lot, but I really couldn't have done it without you!

Thank you for reading! 💙💙