Small Talk

Katherine cowered in the corner of the bathroom as he came towards her, closing her eyes as he placed his hand on her shoulder.  The chuckle that fell from his lips terrified her even more and she prayed that someone would come and save her.

"Look at me, Kathy."  His deep voice commanded, sending a wave of chills down her spine.  She kept her eyes shut and cringed as he took her chin into his thumb and index finger.  "I said look at me."

Katherine swallowed a shaky breath and did as she was told.  His intense eyes burned into hers and he gave her a smile.  "Why are you so afraid of me?" He asked, removing his hand from her shoulder. "I've given you no reason to act this way. Have I?"

She nodded her head and whispered, "I don't think my momma would like it if she knew you were in here with me."

The smile on Victor's face changed into something much more sinister.  He reached his hand back and locked the door.  "Momma doesn't have to know."

Katherine closed her eyes again and sank down to the floor, throwing her hands over her face as she began weeping uncontrollably.  "Please, let me out of here!"  She cried, "I swear I won't tell my mom!"

Victor kneeled in front of her and took hold of her chin again.  "Calm down and lower your voice."  He said, running his fingers through her hair.  "You're  safe with me, Kathy.  I wish you knew that."

He waited for a response from her, but she remained silent. He released her and stood back to his feet. "I know it must seem rather strange for me to corner you in the bathroom, but this was the only place I could speak with you alone."

Katherine's eyes opened. She relaxed slightly at the warm tone of his voice, though part of her remained very cautious. "Wh-what do you want to talk about?"

"Your mother." Victor answered, "She is a beautiful woman, Kathy, and I have become quite fond of her over the last few months."

Katherine could feel her stomach drop.  She did not like where this conversation was going.  "You have a crush on my mama?"

Victor threw his head back and laughed.  "It's much more than a crush, Kathy.  Your mother and I have been seeing each other for several weeks."

"W-what?"  Katherine choked, clutching on to her stomach.  This could not be happening!

"You don't seem pleased by this news."  Victor said, crossing his arms over his chest with a frown.

"You can't date my mom!"  Katherine cried, "You just can't!"

"Lower your voice, Kathy." Victor hissed, reaching his hand out towards her.  "I'll snap your neck if you scream like that again."

Something stirred inside of Katherine, causing her to ignore his threat.  "Leave my mama alone!  You're a bad man and I don't want her to be with you!"

Victor clenched his teeth and wrapped his large hand around her neck, squeezing it tightly enough to keep her quiet.  "You will not tell me what to do, you little bitch.  Your mother and I are going to be together and there's nothing you can do about it."

Katherine grabbed his wrists and tried to pry his hand off of her, but his grip was far too strong.  She was sure that he was going to kill her until she heard a knock on the door.

"Katherine, are you okay?"  Her mother asked from the other side, her voice filled with worry.  "I thought I heard you shouting."

Victor leaned into her ear and whispered, "Tell her you're fine or I'll kill both of you.  Do you understand me?"

Katherine frantically nodded her head and he let her go.  "I'm f-fine, mama."

"Are you sure?"  Molly pressed, turning the door knob several times.  "Do I need to come in there!?"

"No!  I'm almost done!"

There was a brief pause, then Molly said, "Okay.  I'm going to find Victor and tell him that it's time for us to go.  It's getting late."

Her footsteps echoed down the hallway, and Victor nodded his head in approval.  "I'm glad you did the right thing.  It would've been a shame to kill you."

Katherine grabbed her neck and pinched back the tears that swelled in her eyes.  "Please....don't hurt my mama."  She pleaded, looking down at her feet.

Victor smiled at her, almost as if nothing had happened, and said, "I won't, unless you tell her about our little conversation."

Katherine shook her head.  "I-I won't. I promise."

"Good girl."

Victor opened the door and let her out, waiting a few seconds before following her into the kitchen. Molly was sitting at the table with Vincent, smiling when she saw him standing in the doorway.

"There you are." She said, "I thought you ran away from us."

Victor chuckled. "Sorry about that. I had to go make sure Violet was okay. She's been quiet."

"No worries. Katherine and I need to be heading back home anyway."

She looked over at Vincent and said, "Thank you for having us over for dinner. It was really great getting to spend time with you."

Vincent gave her a weak smile. "Thanks for coming."

Victor walked them out to their car and watched as they drove away. When he went back into the house, his son was standing in the doorway with his arms folded across his chest.

"What's eating you, boy?" He asked, plopping down on his recliner.

Vincent glared at him.  "What did you do to Katherine?"

"The hell are you talking about?  I didn't do anything to Katherine."

"Then why is she scared of you?"

"I don't like your tone, boy.  You better watch what you say to me."

Vincent took a brave step forward.  "Or what?"

Victor instantly leapt from his recliner and slammed his son into the wall.  "What is your problem, boy!?"

"You are!"  Vincent growled, "I'm tired of you hurting everyone I love!  I know you did something to Katherine!"

"I didn't do a damn thing, and if you accuse me again I'll cut your fucking tongue out!"

"Do it then!  I don't care anymore!"

Victor raised his fist in the air to clobber his son, but the knocking at his front door halted him. 

"Who is it!?"  He demanded, his face burning with rage.

"It's your mother, and if you don't let me right now I'll call the police."

****

AN:  Sorry the chapter is a little short.  Hope you enjoyed it anyway! :)