Guardian

Vincent:

My arms were wrapped around the bottom of the toilet as I sobbed uncontrollably on the bathroom floor.  Daddy promised me that the police would not find the body for a very long time, but he could not have been more wrong.

Grandma was outside of the door, begging for me to come talk to her.  I wanted so badly to tell her the truth about what happened, but I knew that Daddy would kill me if I said a word.

The thought made my stomach clench, and the bitter taste of bile rose in my throat. I clamped both of my hands over my mouth to prevent it from escaping, pinching my eyes closed as she continued to relentlessly knock on the door.

"Vincent, you have to talk to me."  She said, her voice both stern and soft.  "I know you're upset right now, and I don't blame you, but keeping your emotions to yourself will not help."  She paused for a moment, then added, "You need to come out before I call your dad."

My mouth flew open in horror, and my lunch spewed all over the bathroom floor. The pain in my stomach was so unbearable that I could not even muster the strength to beg her not to call him.  All I could do was lie there and listen in horror as she walked to the living room and picked up the telephone.

"Grandma...no." I choked, reaching for the door handle with a trembling hand.  But she was already asking him if he'd seen the news.

My heart began beating rapidly inside of my chest, and the dread that danced within my soul overtook me. Darkness consumed my vision and I passed out in the pool of vomit. 

I was soon awakened by the sensation of someone shaking my shoulder.  My eyes slowly opened to find Grandma standing over me, her sweet face reflecting her concern. "Thank God you're okay..." She breathed, her voice cracking as she used a dampened towel to wipe the vomit from my face. "You scared me half to death.  Are you feeling better?"

"I...I don't know."  I stammered, pressing my hand to my forehead.  "How long was I out?"

She wrapped her hands around my arms and helped me to my feet.  "About five minutes.  I started to call an ambulance, but your father told me to try and wake you up myself."

My knees buckled at the mention of Daddy, which she noticed right away. She kneeled in front of me and took my chin in her hand. "Is something wrong, honey? You know you can tell me anything, even if it's about your dad."

The softness of her tone sent waves of comfort through me, and without hesitation I told her everything that happened that terrible day with Jordan.  Tears poured down my face as I told her about having to help bury her body in the woods, and how Daddy threatened to kill me and Mommy if we told anyone. 

Grandma held on to my hand and listened in calm silence. When I was finished I expected her to call the police, but she simply poured herself a cup of tea and waited until there was a knock at the door. 

My body immediately tensed and she put her hand on my shoulder.  "Wait in the guest room while I speak with your father."

"But-" I started to protest until she placed her index finger on my lips.

"Don't worry. I'll take care of this."  She said, taking me by the hand and escorting me to the guest room. She handed me a book to read before going to answer the door. 

Daddy's voice echoed through the house, but I could hardly hear a word he said.  I pressed my ear against the door to get a better listen, but their voices were too soft to make out what they were saying.  I opened the door as quietly as I could and tiptoed down the hallway until I could hear every word clearly.