Visitation

February 3, 1999

Vincent:

Sister Veronica held on to my hand as we sat outside of Father Stuart's office. Three more months have passed since I was brought to the infirmary, and it was time for my six month evaluation. I have been dreading this day ever since Sister Veronica told me about it, because I would have to be face to face with Victor. He was going to sit in for the evaluation, while Sister Veronica and Father Stuart decided whether or not I was ready to go back home.

Last night I begged Sister Veronica to let me stay here for as long as possible, and she told me that she would do her best to make sure I was not sent back home to Victor.

I can still remember the look of horror on her face after I told her what he did to Jordan. She stood from her chair and paced around my room, trying to decide whether or not she should call the police. But, thankfully, she remembered her promise not to tell anyone.

Ever since then, I have trusted Sister Veronica with all of my painful secrets. We formed a special bond that I've never had with anyone, not even Grandma, before. She promised she would keep me safe and I believed her.

The door to Father Stuart's office opened. He stepped out and looked at me. "Are you ready, Vincent?"

"Y-yes, sir." I stammered, tightening my grasp around Sister Veronica's hand.

"Very good." Father Stuart said, "Come on in."

We followed him into the office, and my eyes widened when I saw that Violet and Grandma were here too. "W-what are you doing here?" I asked, my stomach twisting into painful knots.

Father Stuart closed the office door. "I thought it would be appropriate to include them in your evaluation. Do you have any objections?"

"Well, I-"

Sister Veronica placed both of her hands on my shoulders. "Of course not, Father. You made the right call by inviting them here."

I looked up at her, my heart nearly stopping inside of my chest.  What in the world was she doing!?  I started to object to them being here, but I decided to give Sister Veronica the benefit of the doubt.  There had to be a good reason for her wanting them to be here.  I had to trust her.

"Good."  Father Stuart said, "Well then, is there anything you would like to say to your family, Vincent?  Perhaps an apology to your sister."

My eyes shifted over to Violet.  She was sitting next to Victor with her hands folded in her lap, smiling as sweetly as she could.

I returned my attention to Father Stuart and shook my head.  "I have nothing to say to her."

"Come now, Vincent." Father Stuart answered, beads of sweat forming on his face.  "You don't really mean that, do you?"

"Yes, sir.  I sure do mean it."

The frustration became visible on his face.  He sucked in an exasperated breath and took a seat behind his desk, his green eyes landing on Violet.  "How about you, dear?  Do you have anything you wish to say to Vincent?"

Violet stood from her chair and walked over to me, her eyes filling with tears as she threw her arms around my neck.  "I'm sorry you hate me so much, Vinny!  I never wanted to hurt you!"