Catching Up

SEVEN YEARS LATER-August 22, 2006

Vincent (Age Sixteen):

Most teenagers my age are excited when the first day of a new school year starts. They look forward to the prospect of starting all over again, learning from the mistakes made during the previous school year.

Some vow to make more friends, while others are determined to further their academic success. High school is nothing but a big rat race, and I couldn't care less about any of the crap that came with it.

My only care was to get my diploma so I could leave this stupid town and go to a good university, where I would get my doctorate in human psychology. After that, I would wait and see what life threw at me next.

The morning bell sounded off and the halls were soon bustling with obnoxious jocks and other misfit losers.  I trudged to my first class and picked a seat in the very back of the classroom.  A few pretty girls stared at me with smiles on their faces, but I ignored them and shoved my nose in a book until our teacher finally graced us with her presence.  She was a heavy set woman with white hair and a big nose.  Her eyes scanned the class before she began rambling on about how she expected us to be well behaved. 

I rolled my eyes and groaned aloud, something that caught the attention of everyone in the class.  The teacher folded her arms and asked, "What is your name, young man?"

"Vincent."

"Well, Vincent, is there something you would like to share with us?  Perhaps you would like me to speed things along so you won't be bored?"

I shrugged my shoulders.  "That would be nice."

The others students laughed and her face flushed redder than the ugly sweater she was wearing.  She pulled a pink slip from the top drawer of her desk and held it in the air with a frown.  "Since you don't want to be in my class you can go to the office!"

I stood from my desk and threw my backpack over my shoulder, ignoring the laughter of the others as I walked to the front of the class.  "Whatever."  I said, taking the pink slip from her hand. 

I walked down to the office and took a seat in one of the vacant chairs.  The secretary, a sweet woman by the name of Miss Johnson, shook her head with a smile when she saw me.  "My goodness.  Have you already gotten into trouble, Vincent?"

"Yep."  I said, handing her the slip with a smirk.

She looked over it and chuckled.  "Ah, I see you've made a good impression on Mrs. Corn."

"Yeah, she's my new best friend."

"You shouldn't piss off that old fossil, Vincent.  She's liable to put a hex on you."

We both laughed quietly until the principal's door opened.  He stepped out with a clipboard in his hand and raised his eyebrows at me.  "This must be some kind of new record for you, Graves.  It hasn't even been ten minutes and you've already managed to get yourself sent down here."  He looked me over for a few seconds, then shrugged.  "I really don't feel like writing anyone up on the first day of school.  Go back to class and be nice to Mrs. Corn, would you?"

"Yes, sir."  I said, watching as he tore the pink slip and threw it in the trash.  I stepped back into the hallway and started making my way back to class.  I was almost there when I felt a hand tap my shoulder.