Grandma's House

September 15, 1997

Millicent Graves stared out of her living room window with a smile on her face as she awaited the arrival of her grandchildren. They would be spending the weekend with her while her son went out of town to investigate a homicide case. She was given rather short notice of their visit, but she was so delighted that her beloved grandson was coming that she didn't mind.

The old woman's eyes beamed when she saw her son's patrol car pulling into the driveway, and she immediately rushed outside to greet them. "It's so good to see you, son."  She said, throwing her arms around Victor as soon as he emerged from the car.  She looked past him and frowned when she saw Jordan sitting in the passenger seat, for she knew exactly what was going on between her and her son.

She was disappointed in her son for indulging in something as disgraceful as adultery, but she said nothing because she didn't want to risk not being allowed to see her grandchildren.

Victor gently tore away from her and popped the trunk open, pulling out two small suitcases and thrusting them into her hands. "Sorry I can't stay and chat, Ma, but Jordan and I need to hit the road before the traffic gets terrible."

Millicent dropped the suitcases and opened the door for her grandchildren, ignoring her son's rudeness. She stretched her arms out and Vincent ran into them. "How's my handsome little Vinny bug?" She said, rubbing his back as he laid his head on her chest. "I missed you!"

Victor shook his head. "Don't talk to the boy like that, Ma. You'll turn him into a sissy."

Millicent frowned at him. "Stop saying such terrible things about your own son. He is a very bright and masculine young man."

"Pfft...whatever you say." He scoffed before helping a sobbing Violet out of the backseat.  He kneeled in front of her and used his thumb to wipe her tears away.  "Please don't be sad, princess.  Daddy will be back for you soon."

"But I don't want to stay at Grandma's!" She protested, stomping her purple sneaker on to the grass.  "Her house smells like cough drops and she loves Vincent more than me!"

Victor grabbed her shoulders and pressed his nose against hers for an Eskimo kiss. "Daddy loves you more and that's what counts, so will you please smile for me?  I hate when you cry."

Millicent rolled her eyes when Violet smiled at her father.  She would never admit it to anyone else, but she loathed her granddaughter with a passion.  The child was a spoiled brat who got her way by manipulating her father, and it was not something she would tolerate in her home.

She placed her hands on their shoulders and watched as Victor drove away. Violet glanced up at her with a scowl and said, "I hope you made something good for dinner. Last time you cooked soup that tasted like a dirty boot."

Vincent punched her in the arm. "Shut up!"

Violet punched him back. "Make me, homo!"

Millicent grabbed both of them by the wrists and scolded them as she dragged them into the house.  "Knock it off this instant, both of you!  I will not put up with such rude behavior!"

"Sorry, Grandma."  Vincent sighed, ashamed that he'd displeased her.  "I promise we won't fight anymore."

"There's a good boy."  She praised, patting his head with a smile on her face.  "Now then, I want you to help me set the table for dinner, while Violet puts sheets on the guest beds."