The Deed

Vincent:

Victor shook his head and opened the door, frowning as soon as grandmother stepped into the house. I took a step forward to give her a hug, but my wrist was grabbed before I could get to her. "I'm getting real tired of your threats, Ma. You need to stop."

"Well, I'm getting tired of you avoiding my phone calls. You know that we need to talk about Vincent."

She grabbed my wrist to try and pull me away from him, but Victor held on. My stomach twisted into a worried knot as the tension between them came to an all time high. I hated being in the center of this.

Victor pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head again with a sigh. "We've had this conversation a dozen times, and the answer has not changed."

"You're being unreasonable, Victor! For once, try to think what is best for your son."

"The boy is staying with me." Victor said, tightening his grip around my wrist. "And if you continue to harass me, I will get a damn restraining order."

Grandma's eyebrows plunged into a frown and she jammed her finger in his chest. "You do not want to go down this road with me! I haven't told the police about what happened with Jordan, but if you don't let him come home with me that will change."

Victor threw his head back and laughed wildly.  "You can't be serious!  I would make your life a living hell if you even tried."

Grandma raised her hand in the air and slapped his cheek with remarkable force. "Don't you threaten me! You have no idea how close I am to-"

Victor backhanded her before she could finish her thought, sending her falling down to the floor. The frown faded from his face for a moment, replaced with a glint of regret. His grip on my wrist loosened and he folded his arms over his chest, giving me the chance to tear myself away from him.

"Grandma!" I cried, protectively wrapping my arms around her. "Are you okay!?"

She winced in pain as she brought her hand up to her cheek. "Yes, I'm fine."  She said, standing to her feet on trembling legs.

Victor rubbed the back of his head, his dark eyes avoiding hers.  "Ma, I didn't mean to-"

"What's the matter with you!?"  I growled, pushing him backwards.  "You're a monster!"

I expected him to backhand me as well, but he ran his hand through his hair and went into the back of the house.  I turned back to grandma and placed my hand over hers.  "I'm sorry I didn't stop him."

Grandma smiled weakly at me, though I could see the heavy sadness in her eyes.  "You don't have to apologize to me.  There was nothing you could do."

Victor returned to the living room a few minutes later with a plastic sack in his hand, handing it to me with a face void of emotion.  Violet stood behind him and watched us curiously, trying to figure out what had happened while she was away. 

"I'll bring the rest of your stuff tomorrow."  Victor said, rubbing the back of his head again. His eyes shifted to grandma. "You can have full custody."

My eyes widened with disbelief and a lump swelled in my throat.  I wanted to believe that he was letting me go once and for all, but something inside of me was wary of his sudden change of heart. 

I took the sack from his hand and said, "Thank you."

Grandma was still so shaken up that she didn't say a word to him. She nodded at him and wrapped her arm around my shoulders, ushering me towards the front door.