Christmas (Part One)

December 25, 1999

Vincent:

Christmas was supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, but all I could do was sit here and think about how Grandma was no longer here to celebrate it with us. Just like everyone else that I cared about in this life, she was taken away too soon.

The loneliness in my heart was so unbearable that I often considered killing myself. What was the point in living if everyone hated me? The only people that didn't hate me were Katherine and Molly, and even they were treating me differently than before. They tiptoed on eggshells around me, trying to avoid any subject that would upset me. I understood why they did it, but I missed being treated like a normal kid.

Katherine seemed to have problems as well. There were times I would talk to her and she would start crying for no reason. She swore to me that Victor had not hurt her, but something inside of me was certain that she was lying to protect herself. She got angry with me every time I brought it up, so I swore to never talk about it again.

The smell of chocolate chip cookies filled the house and Victor came out of the kitchen wearing a red Santa Clause hat. His eyes darted over to me and he said, "Why in the hell aren't you dressed yet? The girls are going to be here any minute."

"I don't feel like celebrating." I muttered, gazing into the blazing fireplace. "I'm going to bed. Tell them I'm sick or something."

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself, boy. It's pathetic."

"I'm not feeling sorry for myself! I just don't want to have anything to do with this stupid holiday!"

I started to storm off to my room, but he blocked the doorway. "This is a really important night for me, boy, and you're not going to ruin it. Put your damn sweater on and come into the dining room."

"Whatever." I mumbled, shaking my head as I went into my bedroom. I changed into the hideous Santa sweater that he bought me and went back into the living room, laying back on the sofa with a glare on my face. Why in the hell was he making me be a part of his stupid party? Every other day of the year he treated me like a second class citizen, but he wanted to make Katherine and Molly believe that he was a good father by including me in everything.

I closed my eyes, in hopes of getting a quick nap in before the cringe fest began, but was interrupted when Violet pranced in the room with her radio in her hands. "Hey, Vincent! Listen to this song!"

I listened for a few seconds, then clenched my teeth in anger when I heard what played. "You evil little cunt!" I growled as 'Grandma got ran over by a reindeer' echoed from the speakers.

Violet laughed wildly until I snatched the radio from her hands, throwing it into the fireplace. Her mouth fell open in a high pitched scream and she tackled me down to the wooden floor. "Daddy bought me that for my birthday!" She shrieked, punching me in the face over and over again.

I positioned my leg across her chest and flung her off of me, climbing on top of her and pinning her hands down. "I don't give a fuck! You have no right to make fun of Grandma's death. She loved you!"

"No, she didn't!" Violet growled, "That old hag never treated me as good as you!"

"Don't call her that!"

"Old hag, old hag!" Violet chanted, "The old hag got what she deserv-"

Her eyes widened when I mashed both of my hands over her mouth, pressing down so hard that she couldn't breath. My vision was clouded in red as she kicked her legs underneath me, trying to get me off of her so she could catch her breath.

But I didn't want her to breathe. I couldn't let her get away with talking about Grandma like that.

She needed to be punished!

Her face flushed a dark shade of red as she screamed against the palm of my hand. "Shut up!" I yelled, pushing into her face even harder. I held her there for what felt like several minutes, then was ripped away from her when Victor grabbed my arms.

"What in the hell are you doing!?" He demanded, throwing me back down on the floor. "Are you out of your fucking mind!?"

He kneeled down beside Violet, who was sobbing uncontrollably, and placed his hands on her tear stained cheeks. "Take it easy, princess." He said, trying to get her to breathe normally. "You're okay."

His attention fell back on me when she settled down, his eyes filled with murderous rage. "Tell me what has gotten into you, boy! Why did you attack her!?"

"She was making fun of grandma!" I roared, "She said that she deserved to die!"

The rage in his eyes was replaced with confusion, and he looked back over at her. "Is this true?"

"I was only kidding around, Daddy!" Violet insisted, clasping her hands in front of her. "I didn't mean to make him angry."

Victor sighed and ran his hand through his dark hair. "Molly and Katherine are going to be here any minute, and I don't want them seeing us this way. I will settle this matter later."

"Are you gonna spank Vincent?" She asked, glaring at me.

Victor shook his head. "No."

"What!? Why not!?"

"Because, you were being an insensitive little bitch."

Violet's mouth flung open in shock and more tears poured from her eyes. "But, Daddy-!"

"Don't say another word. Go to your room until our guests get here."

She threw her hands over and ran to her room, her loud cries echoing through the house. When she closed the door behind herself, Victor looked over at me with a softened expression. "I'm not going to punish you for what you did, but let's make sure it doesn't happen again. Okay?"

I slowly helped myself off the the floor and nodded my head, shocked by his calmness. "Yes, sir."

I watched after him, still in disbelief, as he walked back into the kitchen to finish preparing the table for dinner. It wasn't like him to punish Violet, even when she did terrible things. Grandma's death must be hurting him as much as it's hurting me, or else he would have never taken my side.   Maybe there was still good in him somewhere, buried deep down underneath the hatred he seemed to harbor.

Maybe Grandma's death would help us to fix our broken relationship once and for all. After all, she would want me to give him another chance. She told me that forgiving him would give me peace of mind.

It would take a lot of time and effort, but I was willing to give Victor another chance. He was the only family I had in the world. I needed to let go of the past and hope for a better future with him. That was the only way I would have a chance to be happy.

I sucked in a deep breath and went into the kitchen, looking at him with a warm smile on my face. "Can I help you set the table.....dad?"

Victor looked taken aback for a moment, then he smiled back at me. "You sure can......son."