Blackmail

Vincent:

I waited on the front porch for almost an hour before Violet finally showed up. She gave a kiss to the boy that drove her home and climbed out of his car, her legs wobbling beneath her as she came towards me.

She was even more drunk than earlier. The smell of alcohol filled my nostrils when she stepped up to the porch and sat in the chair beside me.  "Why didn't you tell me that she was back?"  She asked, smiling as she laced her fingers together with anticipation.

I shrugged my shoulders.  "Who?"

"Katherine, duh!"  She shouted, and my body froze in panic.  The light in the living room shone out of the front window, meaning that Dad was more than likely still awake. 

I leaned in closer to Violet and whispered, "Please, lower your voice.  Dad might hear you."

She giggled and nudged me with her elbow.  "Oh, so it's a secret.  You don't want Dad to know, is that it?"

My eyes averted from hers and she laughed again. 

"You can't hide stuff from me, you know."  She said, smiling smugly.  "I can read you like a book."

"Fine, you got me."  I sighed, shaking my head.  "She is back, but she doesn't want Dad to know yet."

"Probably because he proposed to her mom."  Violet surmised, "That was awkward as shit."

I nodded in agreement.  "You're probably right, but in any case, promise me that you won't tell him."

Violet put her hand under her chin, as if she were debating within herself, before she said, "Alright, I promise I won't tell him, but under one condition. 

"What?"

"You have to do whatever I want, whenever I want."

"You can't be serious."

"Oh, I'm very serious.  Keeping a secret from Dad is a big risk.  You know he would freak if he found out."

"Okay, fine." I said, "I'll do whatever you want as long as you stay quiet."

She smiled and pretended to zip her lips closed. 

I smiled back weakly before standing from my chair and going into the house.  I already knew that she was going to make my life a living hell, but I would keep my word and do what she wanted as long as it meant keeping Katherine's secret. 

***

The next morning came and when I went into the dining room for breakfast Violet was already there, her eyes beaming when she saw me. 

I looked away from her and took my place at the table, groaning when she scoot her chair closer to mine.  "I know what I want you to do first." 

"What?"

"Tell Dad that you love him."

"Seriously?" I whispered, "Why?"

"Because he hates it. And it's my way of making sure that you're going to listen to me."

I shook my head and cleared my throat. "Hey, Dad."