Carl

"Oh. Nice." I wasn't sure how to respond to what my best friend had just told me.

"She's crazy about me. She really loves me. I didn't think anyone ever would actually care about me like she does." My heart felt a pang as he said these words.

"I'm uh.. happy for you." I could barely get the words out. I wasn't actually happy. I couldn't wrap my mind around why he was gonna get married. He's so young and the girl is psycho.

"You sound kind of distant. Is everything alright?" The concern in his voice almost made me laugh.

"I'm fine Carl. Really." I couldn't even convince myself much less the boy I'd been best friends with for so many years.

"Stop lying. What's wrong?" I was thankful we were on the phone so he couldn't see the tears well up in my eyes.

"It's nothing. I have to go I'll talk to you later." I didn't even give him time to reply before hanging up. I let the tears fall down my cheeks and I quickly wiped them away, ashamed that I was acting so stupid over him.

I woke up and looked around realizing it was dark out so I must have fallen asleep while I was crying. I sat up rubbing my eyes checking my phone to see so many missed calls from Carl. I heard a knock on the door and I assumed it wasn't the first one. That just have been what woke me up. I knew who it was so I hesitated on going to open the front door.

"Hi." I said not looking up at him. I felt his arms around my waist quickly shocking me.

"Please tell me what's wrong." He whispered into my hair. I pulled him inside feeling the cold Chicago air on my skin. We pulled away and I looked into his eyes and he could immediately see that I had been crying. "Please just tell me. I'm so worried about you." He touched my cheek softly.

"I can't." I said softly. If I told him I loved him, I'd ruin his happiness. He was gonna marry Kassidi and I had to be fine with it because he's my best friend. Nothing more.

"Y/n stop being stubborn. You can tell me anything. Anything ever. Even if you murdered someone, you could tell me." I let out a breathy laugh as his last sentence. "Just tell me. Please. So I can help you." He touched my cheek softly, wiping away the tear I didn't even know fell.

"I love you." I said it so quiet I could barely hear it myself. Carl didn't struggle to hear me at all.

"You do?" He asked as his eyes widened. I nodded my head confirming myself. "Oh my god.." he tore his eyes away from mine and my heart sank.

"Carl.. I shouldn't have told you. I know you're with Kassidi and I just-"

"Y/n stop." He cut me off. I was sure of what was coming. He was gonna tell me I was crazy. What was I thinking falling for my best friend? How could I do something so crazy?

I was cut out of my thoughts abruptly when I felt his lips on mine. I wasted no time kissing him back.

"What are you doing? What about-"

"Don't day her name." He cut me off yet again. "I love you too. I was scared to tell you. I thought for sure you'd never want to be my friend again. I never thought anyone would love me so when Kassidi did, I thought it could make me stop loving you. But it didn't." My heart jumped at his words. I wrapped my arms around his neck as a few years dripped down my cheeks.

"I love you. So much." I whispered not pulling away from him. "But how are you gonna get rid of her? She's crazy Carl." I stayed the obvious.

"I'll handle it. Don't worry about anything." He pressed a soft kiss to my cheek.