The Orphan Girl

I stare at them hoping that they didn't hear all of the conversation that I just had with Peter and Jack.

They all smirk at me.

Great.

This proves they heard it all.

What must they think of me talking to the guy that cares for me like that. Would they understand how I felt or do they feel disappointed in me?

Who are they, why were they so silent in coming in and what are they doing here?

My head throbs and a ton of questions spin around in my head. My heart pulse quickens and it feels like its trying to break through my rib cage.

One thought whispers to me in the back of my mind, over and over again.

You are going to die.

Am I over reacting?

I try to steady my breathing and my heart rate but its not working. I'm going to have to deal with it.

"Erm ... Were you listening to our conversation?" I say while staring at them accusingly while slowly regaining my cool.

Whatever 'my cool' is.

The guy at the front of the pack slowly nods.

I can feel my face turn paler and paler with every second that passes.

So much for keeping my cool and dealing with the pressure of what's just happened.

They're not supposed to know that I exist.

This is going to ruin everything in Peters eyes. He won't be able to hide me away from anyone anymore. I have a chance of becoming adopted now! This couldn't have turned out any better for me.

I'm going to get a massive beating after this but I'm still happy.

A grin takes the place of my sorrowful scowl.

"Peeeteeer," I call, "we have some company that just heard the whole of our conversation and they know I exist now. They look pretty dangerous now so watch yourself."

I turn my attention back to the mysterious visitors.

"Guess you wanna come in then" I say to them smirking while moving out of the way for them to enter the main room.

They all nod their heads and walk past me.

I guess they don't like speaking then, I think to myself.

I follow them into the lounge as Peter comes bouncing into the room. He jogs up to them with his hand held out looking awkward.

The men look at him, then at his hand and then back at him obviously not wanting to shake it. Peter pulls his hand back to his side and quietly says hello. He's intimidated by them. Perfect.

"I'm Eric." the leader of the pack says with his deep and masculine voice. He has dark brown hair with the same colour eyes. Not my type, I think.

"Im Marcus." the guy next to Eric says. His hair hangs limply at the side of his greasy face and his dull grey eyes stare coldly into Peters soul. He seems a lot different to the others - kinder but the most dangerous out of them all.

"I'm Natalie." the only woman of the bunch says. She must have been at the back of all of the others because i didn't notice a girl amongst them.

Her hair gently falls down onto her shoulders and her eyes sparkle in the light. She looks at me kindly and a smile appears on her face as I look at her back. She's beautiful but she reminds me too much of my mother.

I feel like I've met that woman before. Is she related to my mother in anyway because they sure look a lot like each other.

I try to focus on my past to see if I've ever heard mother or father talk about them having siblings. But I find nothing about her.

"I'm Peter." he replies trying to sound bold but he's never been a good actor.

I notice all of the other orphans have come to stand with us now to see who these people are.

They all look terrified, ever Jack, and I never thought he would be scared of anything. A couple other people look like they're going to wet themselves any second and others seem so confused they've given up on wondering what's happening.

We all look from left to right between them both.

"Why 'you here" I hear a kid yell from behind the other orphans.

Finally someone who wants to find out what's going on without caring about what could happen next.

Some other people shout things in return to this but they don't sound as confident as the first guy. They're all probably as scared and worried as me.

I bring my hand down to the place where my knife is in my pocket and grip it lightly incase they attack or try to hurt anyone.

Natalie must have noticed the sudden change of movement in the corner of her eye as she looks at me and mouthes don't worry. It makes me relax a bit but I don't stand down. I don't trust them.

"We'll tell you that later but for now I'd like to know all of your names and maybe a bit about yourselves to see if I can trust you," Eric says.

It seems quite odd that they don't trust us.

What are we going to do?

Or, what are they going to do?

We go through our names and a bit about ourselves.

First Jack because he has to seem the bravest and the best, then Harry and Sammy and the rest until I'm the next person to speak.

"I play the guitar," I say shyly, "and my names Evelyn."

(Hey guys. Sorry to leave on a cliff hanger but the next update will be coming out soon. Evelyn is tobias's mum if your wondering why it's a fanfiction)